Hailstones hurt...shocker

Mike67
Mike67 Posts: 585
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Especially when you're doing 20mph...ouch

What's the general consensus...do you carry on and plough through it or do you wimp out and hide until it stops and you can actually see where you're going again?
Luckily it didn't last long but they don't half make you cold.

Wouldn't mind but today it was sunny at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12noon and 1pm. Then the cloud rolled in and in the space of an hour and it was tipping it down by 2pm....guess what time I finished work and went for a ride? :roll:
Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
Lots of bits

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,594
    In my days as a herdsman, hail was the one sort of weather the cows really hated - in seconds they'd disappear en masse under any cover they could find. Fortunately they didn't ride bikes.
  • I got caught out in them the other day, and as I wear specs they were bouncing off the glasses straight in my eyes - they are nasty blighters.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Saw that wander past. I was mighty glad I was indoors at the time.

However when it came to 6pm when I left, I jokingly said to my mate (who offered me a lift home) "Nah! I'm looking forward to a ride home with no headwind, but knowing my luck it'll tip it down"

Why the hell can I not just shut the hell up?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    I got cought going down a hill in them once. Ouch. I had no glasses and I cr@pped myself. Needless to say i wimped out and hid as best I could
  • Got caught in it yesterday - definately of the 'plough straight through' ilk though! Was heading into Rawtenstall with my eyes as good as shut!
    I Dont Ride Hills, I Climb Mountains!

2010 Scott S40
    2011 Wilier Izoard XP
  • OTBA's first bicycling memory, is aged not a lot, sat on his red & white tricycle at the top of the garden, bawling his little head off, as hailstones peppered him, mother calling me to get inside, rather than sit there & cry!
    Hailstorm + cycling = take cover!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Left cake at denstone {staffs} and rode all the way in hail & rain.Arrived derby 20 miles= drowned rat.loved it.then again i am two bricks short of a full load!!
    bagpuss
  • Put your Oakley's on (they're proven shotgun proof) thick gloves and jacket, thin lycra MTFU.
    translated Cower in the bushes FFS theyre stones!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bagpusscp wrote:
    Left cake at denstone {staffs} and rode all the way in hail & rain.Arrived derby 20 miles= drowned rat.loved it.then again i am two bricks short of a full load!!

Rocester, Cubley, Alkmonton and then up and down the roller-coaster of Long Lane?

(if so you are completely mental! ;) )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Put your Oakley's on (they're proven shotgun proof) thick gloves and jacket, thin lycra MTFU.
    translated Cower in the bushes FFS theyre stones!

Haha, do they say shotgun proof glasses as a selling point and if so why?! 'Yeah detective, his eyeballs are intact but we had to pick up the rest of his face with a sponge...'
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    bagpusscp wrote:

Rocester, Cubley, Alkmonton and then up and down the roller-coaster of Long Lane?

Yep that was the way I came home & and you are dead right :!: :lol:
    bagpuss
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    bagpusscp wrote:
    bagpusscp wrote:

Yep that was the way I came home & and you are dead right :!: :lol:

Glad to hear you regard it as something of a roller coaster as well.
    Perhaps I'm not such a wuss after all!
    Graham. :D