Calf muscles not getting used when riding...?

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
....or it seems that way, anyway.

This question may be related to the earlier Pedalling technique thread - maybe not.

When I'm riding - and I'm quite a heavy chap (16st), I find, as probably most bigger men do, that my legs give up the ghost very early on when climbing.

This is mainly due to lactate build up in my thighs. And that is probably my main question; When riding, do you feel aching\soreness\lactate build up in your calves as well as your thigh muscles, because I don't.

Not sure if it is my riding position, technique, or just general fitness, or a mixture of all of them.

I have fairly big thighs - about 60cm which probably doesn't help.

So, do other people suffer on rides in other muscles in the leg, or just the thighs?

Will lactate build up in muscles get better as I get fitter? and is there a way of prohibiting\fending off lactate build up so quickly?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    They're used, but not to the extent that the quads. I think it's normal to not feel lactate in your calves.

Your lactate tolerance/threshold will increase with fitness. Interval work will help improve your lactate threshold. Without technical testing (blood extraction) it is difficult to pinpoint your threshold, so the best you can do is design some long intervals to work at just below your threshold, based upon perception.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It might not be lactate build up that makes your thighs sore but just fatigue due to weakness. No shortcut there, just need to get your legs cycling fit (your big thighs might be good in a gym but spinning them quick over long distances is a different action all together).

My calves have built up over the last couple of years so cycling must work them out, although they don't get sore in the same muscular fatigue way that the thighs/hamstrings do. I think being out of the saddle and powering up hills will work them out well.
  • Poves
    Poves Posts: 23
    You're right to consider your pedalling technique too. Start with foot placement and ensure that the ball of the foot is roughly above the pedal spindle (toe clips/cleats are good if you can get used to them) Too many cyclists pedal with their foot too far forward on the pedal which stops their ankle moving in a circle.

To achieve this also look at where your saddle is in relation to your pedals - it may need to go back a little bit to ensure a good down stroke.

Then look at what gears you use - many cyclists use too high a gear - if the down stroke seems to be an effort go to a lower gear.

Also think about your diet and ensure good carbohydrate load before and during your ride, and ensure you are and remain well hydrated....

When all the above are right and you are still getting cramp....it will be because you are not fit!
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    I always feel it in the quads. Especially the lower inner quad (just above the knee and called the Vastus medialis). Technique problem? Anyway I also feel little fatigue/soreness in the calfs.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Oh they get used all right. Ride seriously for a year then flex those bad boys.
  • best way to prevent is to get used to it :)

Interval training is a good way to build up tolerance.

not tried this but might be of interest to some http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/soda-loading.htm
  • i am also a bigger ridder i get in about 100-150 miles a week i also seem to get no lower leg work out while my quads glutes and hamstrings are well defined my calves seems to have waisted away. Maybe i should try harder.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Just fitness - keep at it and your threshold will increase, allowing you to push harder. It takes lots of miles I'm afraid.

And don't be surprised if your thighs don't shrink when you lose weight. They're not that big for a cyclist. You'll lose some fat, but may build muscle depending on your height and body type. I weigh just under 12 stone and have very little body fat and 59cm thighs.

Try track cycling for big thighs - check out Robert Forstemann. Not bad for a shortie -

tumblr_lbkimofs531qacyk6o1_500.jpg
  • tv
    tv Posts: 338
    do you do any resistance based strength training in the gym alongside riding?
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    tv wrote:
    do you do any resistance based strength training in the gym alongside riding?

Many coaches will advocate general conditioning and core strength training in particular. Desk jockeys in particular may have weak cores, which can be a limiter. However, not as many coaches will advocate training focused on improving leg strength. Most of us can put out over 600w in power for a very short period of time. But not many can hold 300w for an hour. So unless you're a track cyclist you're probably better off spending your time working on improving your endurance and threshold, rather than leg strength.
  • IShaggy wrote:
    Just fitness - keep at it and your threshold will increase, allowing you to push harder. It takes lots of miles I'm afraid.

And don't be surprised if your thighs don't shrink when you lose weight. They're not that big for a cyclist. You'll lose some fat, but may build muscle depending on your height and body type. I weigh just under 12 stone and have very little body fat and 59cm thighs.

Try track cycling for big thighs - check out Robert Forstemann. Not bad for a shortie -

tumblr_lbkimofs531qacyk6o1_500.jpg

Those are my legs those are.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com