Garmin Connect or Strava?

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
For logging your rides, I mean?

Just picked up an almost new Edge 200 from someone over in the classifieds and have been fiddling around with Garmin Connect, but am not that blown away. What do you lot who have both options think? Is one site better for one thing and another for another? Cheers!

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    I use Strava, but then I don't have a Garmin.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I've used Garmin Connect for a couple of years to log runs. Very useful to keep track of mileage and performance. Bit boring though.

However.....this week, following recommendation from people on here, I signed up to Strava. Addicted already and keeping an eye out for segments that I can have a crack at! The social aspect of Strava is great, and it is fun to see how you perform against others. Legs aren't thanking me, but commute times have decreased.

No reason why you can't download your data to both sites - it only takes seconds from Garmin device.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use both. Strava segment "racing" is pretty useless for me. I'm KOM of every segment I ride as I'm pretty much the only Strava person in the area it seems. Occasionally a segment pops up that I've done (I'm KOM currently on the Lance Armstrong Twitter ride climb!) that others have done.

Connect is good for totals and, IMO, is a little better structured. Upload to both for a bit and see which you prefer. Once you're connected, uploading is simple & quick - I think both use the Garmin plug-in.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Strava is also better for giving a more accurate calorie count. Garmin Connect is way OTT.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Both
    GC for storage
    Strava for the Segmental Peloton.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • i use ridewithgps.com Garmin Connect is a pile of ... IMHO
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I really like GarminConnect and the mapping is OK as long as you are on-road only. Off-road BikeHike is the ONLY one that I can get on with - and I have tried them all.

I love the goals on Garmin connect - I have monthly targets for all of 2012 set up and finding these a useful incentive now it is getting to the end of January (one of the hardest months to go out regularly). Love the calendar that lists my activities and weight and have been manually inputting bodyfat into it. Love the ability to see other people's courses & activities - got some really good rides from there. I just wish there was a way to overlay graphs from one ride with another when comparing - to see where I have made/lost time etc.