2012 Stobart Super League Thread

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
There must be other RL fanatics other than me on this forum, so here we go...

What are your thoughts on the Super League season which kicks off next week?

I reckon it could be the best season since Sky got their paws on the sports and moved it to the summer.

My team, Catalans Dragons stand a good chance this season having brought in Leon Pryce from Saint Helens. If Scott Dureau can reproduce his form of 2011 and with Thomas Bosc making his comeback we could be in with a chance of making the latter stages of the playoffs.

For the league leaders shield I cannot see past Warrington.

Top three

Warrington
Saints
Wigan

Comments

• LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RL is for pussies too weedy to scrum...

:wink: popcorn anyone?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087

Sweet please, don't do salty. And I agree, Tigers fan meself.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • LeicesterLad
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Sweet please, don't do salty. And I agree, Tigers fan meself.

Love n hugs

DD

Only the best for you DD, plus Tigers are about the only thing this sh*thole town is good for...
  • RL is for pussies too weedy to scrum...

LOL

Get back to hunting foxes rah rah :)
  • LeicesterLad

LOL

Seeing as you mention this, i feel i must clarify that i couldn't think of a more vile, disgusting pass-time than mauling an innocent animal half to death with a pack of dogs purely to feed the bloodthirsty minds of a bunch of toffee nosed w@nkers. I'd even prefer Rugby League
  • As as experimental question what is it about league that you dont like?

I try watching union but a bad game of that code is truly dire for the uninitiated.
  • LeicesterLad
    As as experimental question what is it about league that you dont like?

I try watching union but a bad game of that code is truly dire for the uninitiated.

I don't really know to be honest, Just i was bought up on Union, Leicester's obviously a big union town...Cant get used to that tapping the ball through the bag of your legs stuff...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    There's only half a dozen rules in Rugby League, so it's dead easy to follow. :wink: Union, on the other hand,
    especially with the forwards, you'd have to digest the rule book before every game to know what's going on. :lol:

(Says me, who only played union in the RAF, but brought up in Wigan, Leigh, Salford heartland)
  • I am happy to be a simpleton...

Anyway who's gonna win the league ?
  • de_sisti
    Jimmy,

I wasn't having a pop a you. I just think that league is easier to understand, even though I played
    union when I was in the raf.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,169
    Disappointed that the Crusaders experiment failed, I went along to a few of their matches when they were down south and really enjoyed it (something to watch while waiting for the proper rugby to start again :wink: ). I still much prefer Union as I find it allows for more varied style of play whereas league is (generally) a bit formulaic but I also realise that the improvements in defences in Union have come in a large part as a result of the use of League coaches in Union.

My stab at the top 3 is:-

Saints
    Warrington
    Leeds
  • de_sisti
    Actually, I like both codes. Watch out for the England U18 fullback (My nephew, Marcus Webber),
    now plying his trade for Leeds Carnegie. Soon to be moving to the scrum half position.
  • My top 3 would be 1 Widnes :shock:
    2 saints
    3 Wxxky warrington :lol:
    I guess you can tell i,m a born chemic
  • Leicester is an odd place for sport i found when I lived there. I was there when liverpool met chelsea in the carling cup final. Bear in mind this LFC, the nations favourite team and not one pub had it on - everyone I went into had rugby on - it was weird. Infact the only place that had footy was a pub called the empire I think on fosse road but someone told me it was where the bnp meet so off I scuttled to the pump and tap to catch the 2nd half - I just didn't get how the odd shaped ball was down there.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433

Ha ha, quotes the ' kick and clap boy '

I am a wire till i die fan BTW!

I think it is dodgy dealings my self regarding the stobart deal Obviously i am not in the RFL but a free deal?

Ok fair enough i can see where the RFL are coming from with the statement that your supposed to see a Stobart truck every 4 minutes on the motorway network, a la free nationwide exposure. But what exactley is in it for the stobart group?

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087

LOL

Seeing as you mention this, i feel i must clarify that i couldn't think of a more vile, disgusting pass-time than mauling an innocent animal half to death with a pack of dogs purely to feed the bloodthirsty minds of a bunch of toffee nosed w@nkers. I'd even prefer Rugby League

Never, but that's me out of the convo then.

Two things I never discuss, hunting and religion.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • kev77
    My top 3 would be 1 Widnes :shock:
    2 saints
    3 Wxxky warrington :lol:
    I guess you can tell i,m a born chemic

does it still smell round your way then?

;-)
  • Rugby, a game played by men,with odd shaped balls.

Actually I think both codes are played by rate tough b@st@rds and at the side of rugby, football is a game for women and puffs. I prefer league but the thing I like is unlike football I have no allegience to any team and can enjoy the game for what it is (even though I don't know the rules). :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Seeing as you mention this, i feel i must clarify that i couldn't think of a more vile, disgusting pass-time than mauling an innocent animal half to death with a pack of dogs purely to feed the bloodthirsty minds of a bunch of toffee nosed w@nkers.

Have you just described a rugby union scrum?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Oh should have also said that I'm a Salford city Reds fan and season ticket holder.

Really looking forward to the up coming season. There's gonna be some great clashes this season especially with Saints, Wigan, Wire, Leeds, Hudds starting to look more evenly matched. Then the potential of Cas, Hull fc, Cats to spoil the equation. And a big tussle between ourselves, Widnes, Bradford, Quins and Wakey to try for a playoff place.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Shield? I agree that this should be a great yr, but...importance of the league shield/ title has been completely undermined by the sooper league grand final winners taking all the kudos etc, etc. not sure what can be done though...and that's from a Leeds fan.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Hmmm, always avoided league on advice, but lack of complicated rules apeals to me so will check it out. Thnks for the heads up! ;D
  • LeicesterLad
    Leicester is an odd place for sport i found when I lived there. I was there when liverpool met chelsea in the carling cup final. Bear in mind this LFC, the nations favourite team and not one pub had it on - everyone I went into had rugby on - it was weird. Infact the only place that had footy was a pub called the empire I think on fosse road but someone told me it was where the bnp meet so off I scuttled to the pump and tap to catch the 2nd half - I just didn't get how the odd shaped ball was down there.

Is still like that round here now in some respects...

Feel i must point out though Cleat, I am by no means a hardened Rugby fan, in fact I prefer a round ball, its just Leicester City are so dire it wasn't worth a mention...
  • thecm
    thecm Posts: 71
    Too hard to say on who'll finish top this year but probably between Leeds, Wire and Saints hard to say the Pies won't be there but who knows whether Wane will be up to the job now Maguires gone? Now the real action is in Champ 1 this year as everyone battles to avoid oblivion in the reshuffle...and playing against Gillingham, Coventry etc... The mighty Haven favourites but it'll be close for sure

As for the Stobarts deal...it's a lot of publicity given all Eddies trucks on the road!
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Saints fan (distant, but loyal since the days of Mal Meninga) here, so I've just finished my course of anti-depressants, and I'm building up the vallium in preparation for the Gran Final later this year (Saints win, obviously :? )
  • I am looking forward to seeing how Widnes get on Friday in their televised clash with Wakey.
  • kev77
    I am looking forward to seeing how Widnes get on Friday in their televised clash with Wakey.

Me too being a warrington speccy, will be a tough match for them men though!
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Eddie Stobart
  • guinea
    Eddie Stobart
  • guinea
    Am I winning this 'super' league yet?

Ooh, there's another.

Eddie Stobart!