Winter / Touring Frame Ideas

skelkelly
skelkelly Posts: 80
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Now I've nearly finished building my bike (will post pics next weekend when complete) I basically have a complete bike other than frame and forks left over, so want to put together a winter bike later in the year for use next winter.

Just wondering if you had any recommendations on a decent frame (which can take a rack for touring purposes) for around £300.

Been looking at Ribble and Tifosi, any thoughts?

cheers
Shaun

Comments

• I like the Surly Pacer, rather a lot, it's exactly what you are looking for and roughly in your price range. Steel is way more reliable and long lasting than any aluminium alloy frame. The british racing green is a colour which never looks out of place
    left the forum March 2023
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Surly Pacer, although I dont think it has proper rack mounts. For this you need the Surly Cross Check, its a beast! £315 for the frame and forks. You can fit guards, racks, fat tyres, gears, singlespeed etc. Does it all really.
  • styxd
    Also, the dropouts on the Cross Check are horitontal, so you can adjust the chainstay length. Comes in handy, since alot of touring frames have very long stays and feel pretty sluggish, but if you arent running racks on the Surly, you can shorten the stays and it makes it feel a bit nippier when climbing.
  • styxd
    Dont think the genesis has rack mounts either.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    In your situation, I'd go for the Tifosi too.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I picked up a new 2011 Trek 1.5 frameset for £150 (frame, carbon fork and headset) and built it up as a winter bike from parts I had. It takes full SKS guards with 25mm tyres and has rackmount bosses. Another option I looked at was the Forme Plateau winter frame available from Ebay for about £200.

What ever frame you go for it may be worth checking that the seatpin diameter and front derailleur diameter match what you currently have.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have the Forme Plateau and it builds into a very nice winter bike (full rack and guard mounts), more forgiving than my previous Ribble, but that's probably an age thing!

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/bikes/road/ ... _frame.php
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    By all accounts the dimensions on the Forme site are wrong: it's 27.2 seatpin and 31.8 FD band!
  • Great advice, cheers

Like the sound of the Surly, will check it out.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    tempted by the Forme as a winter bike project - did you need long reach brakes with the guards fitted? I have most of the bits I need to build it except the frame, and £200-250 for f+f seems a good deal.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • flasher
    Bigpikle wrote:
    tempted by the Forme as a winter bike project - did you need long reach brakes with the guards fitted? I have most of the bits I need to build it except the frame, and £200-250 for f+f seems a good deal.

I already had long reach, so don't know if it'd work without.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    thanks Flasher
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Kolob
    Kolob Posts: 3
    Flasher wrote:
    I have the Forme Plateau and it builds into a very nice winter bike (full rack and guard mounts), more forgiving than my previous Ribble, but that's probably an age thing!

Any idea how much the Forme Plateau frame and forks weigh? Does it make a reasonable winter bike weight, by that I personally mean under/around 20lbs or 9kg.
  • flasher
    Kolob wrote:
    Flasher wrote:

Any idea how much the Forme Plateau frame and forks weigh? Does it make a reasonable winter bike weight, by that I personally mean under/around 20lbs or 9kg.

I didn't weigh the frame and forks before the build, but fully built up with 105, Planet X b's, cheap FSA finishing kit and mudguards it comes in at 19.8lbs so yes sub 20lbs, just!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Kinesis T2 or Tk2? Not sure if you'd get the Tk2 frame / fork in your budget though