New headset fitted, still play?

jizzleb
jizzleb Posts: 135
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just fitted a new semi integrated headset (superstar) however I still have a fair bit of play when rocking the front end, forks are fine but I can feel the movement when putting my hand over the headset.

The top cap is as tight as it will possibly go but still play?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as its doing my head in!

6770386759_d2ea4dd003.jpg
Headset by Jizzleb, on Flickr
Canyon Nerve XC
Spec Allez
GT XCR SingleSpeed
GT Dyno

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Got a gap?
    Fitted the new crown race?

Read all about headsets on Parktools.

Link below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fitted the crown race? (no not me, a mate, I bought his old forks and it clicked when I asked him if he wanted it back!)

Steerer moving in crown?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've just fitted the exact same headset and took the below photo of the order and orientation of how all the parts should be assembled minus the cups which had already been fitted into the headtube. Is this the way you've got yours?

IMG_4137.JPG
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If fitted as Neals photo, I suspect steerer is too long for the amount of spacers being used.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • jizzleb
    Yep exactly the same, new crown race fitted and cups put in by LBE.

Can not get my head around the play, thinking a trip to the lbs might have to be an option.
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    1mancity2 wrote:
    If fitted as Neals photo, I suspect steerer is too long for the amount of spacers being used.

That'll be it, I had the same issue when I fitted a new stem which resulted in a bit of head scratching until I worked it out. Take the top cap off and see if there's at least 5mm between the top of the steerer and the top of the spacer, if not add another spacer or cut a bit off the steerer.

Like this...

fork11.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jizzleb wrote:
    Yep exactly the same, new crown race fitted and cups put in by LBE.

Can not get my head around the play, thinking a trip to the lbs might have to be an option.
    Then you do not have a gap or the bearings are not being preloaded due to the cover touching the top cup.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jizzleb
    Job done, put a larger spacer on top and bobs your uncle!!! Thanking all for your help!

I do seem to have an obscene amount of spacers now though :-)
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    jizzleb wrote:
    Job done, put a larger spacer on top and bobs your uncle!!! Thanking all for your help!

I do seem to have an obscene amount of spacers now though :-)

Thats what a hacksaw is for ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm a new headset instead of a few pence spacer.......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035

Simon

What? He just added a spacer to enable pre-tension on a new headset.
  • jizzleb

Simon

The old headset was screwed regardless (no pun intended :D )
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    Alternatively, get a stem that doesn't have a 25 degree rise and you wouldn't need so many spacers?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The rise has nothing to do with the number of spacers you need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • R0B75
    I know.

I was being facetious, but it seems a bit pointless having the stem that low on the steerer and having a 25 degree rise, when surely a lower rise stem with less spacers on top would be better. Look better too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not a good place to give someone asking for help a stupid answer. People take advice seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jizzleb
    R0B75 wrote:
    I know.

I was being facetious, but it seems a bit pointless having the stem that low on the steerer and having a 25 degree rise, when surely a lower rise stem with less spacers on top would be better. Look better too.

If you have one going I'll certainly take it off your hands :wink:

I got that stem to help with my damaged shoulder and it has just gradually got lower as the shoulder got better.
    Canyon Nerve XC
    Spec Allez
    GT XCR SingleSpeed
    GT Dyno
  • R0B75
    cooldad wrote:
    Not a good place to give someone asking for help a stupid answer. People take advice seriously.
    Sorry Dad :lol:
  • R0B75
    jizzleb wrote:
    R0B75 wrote:
    I know.

If you have one going I'll certainly take it off your hands :wink:

I got that stem to help with my damaged shoulder and it has just gradually got lower as the shoulder got better.

I've got the same stem as I have a back issue but I just have mine further up. I don't like the look of mine to be honest, so I'm thinking of swapping it for lower rise stem though. :idea: