Headset

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All
I recently bought an Orange Patriot that had a new headset fitted, I also replace the forks myself but am unsure of whether I have put all back together correctly, the reason being is that the steering moves really really easily, ie. when off the bike the steering will move to the sides really easily if off the bike, compared to my Specialized.

Now when I put back together there was at the bottom of the headset, like a cartridge which slots inside the bottom of the headset which I assume is the bearings :?: do these need to be greased? it does look like its a sealed unit, for info the headset is a VP comp the forks do come away really easily if I undo the start nut at the top so just wondering whether I have dones something wrong whilst putting back together!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they don't waggle sounds fine. Steering should move easily.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The cartridge is bearings they should have a seal on the top/bottom you can take off with a stanley knife to clean/grease the bearings be careful.

when you say move to the side do you mean movement i.e play in the headset when its tight?

Have the forks got the crown race fitted? (like a concaved washer)

Headset comprises of from bottom to top, crown race, bearings, bottom cup, top cup, bearings, headset top then you add spacers (if using) and stem then topcap which you preload the bearings with.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Cogsy1976
    Hi no doesnt waggle just moves too easily side to side, the forks were taken off another bike so assume the crown race is fitted will have to double check though
  • Cogsy1976
    Sorry just to clarify no movement in the headset!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you've just taken the forks from another bike and not swapped the crown race it quite likely it does not fit properly as they are headset specific (so you either need to swap the headset or the crown race so they match)
  • Cogsy1976
    Thats it then I was pretty sure something was missing and having googled a Crown race I now see what it is!
    Cheers
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2