Saddles

StuartM68
StuartM68 Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
\i have a fizik saddle and have dropped the front a little but still suffering from numb crown jewels, any advice on how to deal with this or should I look to a new saddle?

Comments

• I tried a Fizik Arione hoping the extra length would help me and it was a spectacular failure (Was left with numb joy bits for 3 days after an 85 mile ride...) I ended up getting a Specialized Avatar comp gel with the cut out and love it.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Finding the right saddle can get quite tricky and take some time, as it is probably one of the most individual specific items you have for your bike, and a very important contact point. You can get all the recommendations on here but all you will get is either what people do not get on with or advice on what works for them. Unfortunately all this well meant advice won’t mean a thing to you as what works for me won’t necessarily work for you.

The best advice I can give is to try a range of saddles, a lot of bike shops has trial saddles from various manufactures so you can try before you buy. Also try the saddle swap shop in the sales of road bikes section on this forum.
    It can be a voyage to find the Holy Grail! – but there should be a nice seat out there for you and your lower parts. :)
  • I loved the saddle that came with my Fuji and even switched it between the Fuji and the Dolan but then it died. Since then I've tried a Charge Spoon which made my arse ache, a Specialized Avatar which gave me really bad numb nuts after an hour so now I have a Fizik Aliante Gamma which I love.

It's really down to personal preference as I have discovered as all three I tried were recommended to me and I put 500+ miles on the Spoon and Avatar before getting rid of them.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    To be sure, there is no one answer applicable as we all have different shaped parts!
    For what it's worth, I found the Spesh Toupe and Romin saddles good - decent padded shorts essential; and I also get on okay with the Fizik Alliante. But that's just me!
    Peter
  • +1 Charge spoon
    I started road cycling back in November and suffered from numbness/aches down below between the a-hole and jewels on rides up to 1.5 hours on my standard Giant saddle. Wasn't sure whether to stick with it and hope body adjusts or change it. Decided to change. Changed it to a charge spoon around 4 weeks ago after receiving advice from this forum and as it is relatively cheap thought I'd give it a go. I did a 3 hour ride last week and no sores down below, so really pleased. :-)