Cheap Ebay torches

jamienorton
jamienorton Posts: 182
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
HI, just wondered if anyone uses those cheap Cree led torches from hong kong you can find on the bay, any good or worth getting a bike specific front light?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Check out the thread on MTB buying I think it is. I use an Ultrafire torch - off a site similar to deal extreme (but not that one) Brighter than my cree from last year - its nominally 900 lumens vs the 600 of last year, and very reliable. Bung it on a bar mount and you're good to go. I think it was under a tenner for the torch, and its a seconds work to put it on and take it off.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    I have one and several people I know have bought one having seen mine. Very happy. Got one form a UK seller and bought the Li ion battery and charger at the same time for about 20 quid all in.
  • how are the chargers that come with them?, heard there a little bit explodey.
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    It hasn't gone bang yet. You've got me worried now. Truth is, it's not the most robust looking thing but it doesn't seem to get too hot.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I've been using one of these for about a year on my commute (much of which is on very dark unlit cycle path):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-ZOOMA ... 4952wt_932

Really happy with it.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    how are the chargers that come with them?, heard there a little bit explodey.
    Best to use protected 18650 batteries. They contain a tiny circuit preventing excessive pressure, overcharging, short circuiting etc.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    They're reliable enough (to have a quick budget punt) - I've been using some Cree XM-L T6 torches for a few months and haven't had any probs - just make sure to occasionally check that the pill is screwed down to the head tightly and that the tailcap is screwed in tightly aswell (varies/dependant on model). Also, clean and lube the threads. There are UK-native sellers selling them on Ebay and there are Chinese dropshippers selling them (but with UK stock), so there's plenty of fast-shipping UK-stock to choose from - mine have all arrived within 3 days approx.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,201
    I've just got a Cree Q5 torch cheap from a UK supplier (500 lumens for £21, arrived next day and came with protected battery / charger). I have been a little disappointed with the level of light it gives off though. I don't know if that is down to the battery or if it is because the unlit section of my ride isn't enclosed by hedges so the light spreads but it doesn't seem any brighter than my Fenix which is 'only' 180 lumens.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Pross wrote:
    I've just got a Cree Q5 torch

The Q5 will give you less than half the otf lumens than a typically driven XM-L T6 - for C8 hosts you're much better going with a T6 emitter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,201
    Mettan wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I've just got a Cree Q5 torch

The Q5 will give you less than half the otf lumens than a typically driven XM-L T6 - for C8 hosts you're much better going with a T6 emitter.

Thanks, I might try a T6. On the whole the Q5 is fine, it gives reasonable throw and spread but it is just seems to lack the intensity to light the road surface. The Fenix I use is also a Q5 I believe but the light seems brighter and more condensed if that makes sense!