Application of Chamoix Cream

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
Yes this is in the right forum.

Going to do my first sportive that requires some travel to get to and the question I am asking myself is where and when do I sort by knacker lube out?!

If I put it on at home thats going to be a couple of hours in advance of actually needing it and driving in my shorts.
If I put it on at the event changing (a Leasure Centre) this means creaming up in a communal changing room or trying to do it in a toilet cubicle without dropping the pot in the pot! Now I have played team sports for far too many years and am not the slightest bit bothered in communal changing nakedness, but applying chamoix cream in public is perhaps on the ragged edge of my comfort zone.

So what is the protocol? It must be more straight forward than I imagine.
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I used vaseline myself and maybe it has better stamina than chamoix cream but I've had no problem putting it on before getting in the car, even if its a long drive.
  • +1 for the above. I apply mine before the drive & don't have any probs during the ride. Just be liberal & don't miss anywhere! Or you could get one of those things people use at the beach, haha!
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    As witnessed whilst talking to Boy van Poppel at Powys Castle at last years T.O.B. He already had his bibs on and took a desired amount of chammy cream from the pot then stuck his hand down the front of the shorts whilst using other hand to pull bibs away from tummy, he then coated the undercarrage with said cream from palm of hand, then wiped hand on towel. Job done, hence the smile.
    397846_10150618193309524_527244523_11262853_2144146814_n.jpg

:wink:
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Wait until you get there and shove it on in the cubicle, as per post above though you don't need to pull your shorts down...
  • Ron Stuart
    nferrar wrote:
    Wait until you get there and shove it on in the cubicle, as per post above though you don't need to pull your shorts down...

Trouble with cubicles is there may be a 100 yard queue :!: :wink:
  • lmrt
    lmrt Posts: 935
    You need to apply the cream to your chamoix, not your ar8e, that's why it's called chamoix cream! Get to the changing room, take chamoix and pot of cream, apply as much as you want, work it over and into the key areas, put on shorts, wash hands, job done!
    Good luck
  • Ron Stuart
    lmrt wrote:
    You need to apply the cream to your chamoix, not your ar8e, that's why it's called chamoix cream! Get to the changing room, take chamoix and pot of cream, apply as much as you want, work it over and into the key areas, put on shorts, wash hands, job done!
    Good luck

It won't make an 'ar8e end' of a difference whether you put cream on your chamoix or your ar8e as long as it covers the area of concern. After 100m of riding it all ends up (no pun) the same anyway. What makes a bigger difference to the comfort factor is a good quality pair of shorts/bibs with a good chamoix insert, the choice of saddle and having it set-up properly along with your bike so the weight distribution is optimum for your body. Get a decent bike fit and save your harris. :wink:
  • lmrt
    lmrt Posts: 935
    Depending on the type of Chamoix, it will make a difference depending on when you apply it. The slightly older style "fake" chamoix likes a nice early application so it has chance to soak in and make the chamoix nice and soft, though I don't think this is as important on the, now much more common, padded seat type chamoix. You could be right, but it's far less disturbing to the other riders in the changing room, as well as being less messy for the user, if it's applied direct to the chamoix!!
    +1 on your other points.
    If this thread carries on I'll have to post my chamoix cream story from lejog a few years ago!!
  • Coach H
    Thanks everyone so far who has been brave enough to contribute. I think the cubicle is the only way to go for me.

I have tried the 'direct to chamois' ploy but find 1) I use loads 2) it goes places I don't need it and not in nooks and crannies I do! If there is a big que just don't be surprised when you look up from putting your shoes on that the guy next to you is naked from the waist down, has one foot on the bench and is manupulating his tackle with one hand while smearing it with white gloop with the other! This will be me!!!!!
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    What makes a bigger difference to the comfort factor is a good quality pair of shorts/bibs with a good chamoix insert, the choice of saddle and having it set-up properly along with your bike so the weight distribution is optimum for your body. Get a decent bike fit and save your harris. :wink:

Very constructive Ron, but I think I have these aspects covered with Castelli Aero Free bibs and a bike fit from Adrian Timmis. I am sure you knew this before your ever so slightly sanctamonious post.
  • Coach H wrote:
    Thanks everyone so far who has been brave enough to contribute. I think the cubicle is the only way to go for me.

I have tried the 'direct to chamois' ploy but find 1) I use loads 2) it goes places I don't need it and not in nooks and crannies I do! If there is a big que just don't be surprised when you look up from putting your shoes on that the guy next to you is naked from the waist down, has one foot on the bench and is manupulating his tackle with one hand while smearing it with white gloop with the other! This will be me!!!!!
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    What makes a bigger difference to the comfort factor is a good quality pair of shorts/bibs with a good chamoix insert, the choice of saddle and having it set-up properly along with your bike so the weight distribution is optimum for your body. Get a decent bike fit and save your harris. :wink:

Very constructive Ron, but I think I have these aspects covered with Castelli Aero Free bibs and a bike fit from Adrian Timmis. I am sure you knew this before your ever so slightly sanctamonious post.

To be honest I think that Ron has given the best answer so far. With a decent bike fit and good fitting kit you shouldn't need chamois cream.
  • Ron Stuart
    Assos Chamois Creme Instructions on side of tub:-
    to be applied directly onto the skin in the friction area before each ride and/or onto the insert of the cycling shorts when needed(increased antibacterial protection) . Do not use in direct contact with mucous membrane.

Oh well as they say "that's what you get for trying to be helpfull". :roll:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Do you really need cream that badly? I have ridden 5-6 hours a day for 3 days in a row and dont even bother with pads. My saddle is so comfy that I dont need anything and I found pads were just an unnecessary faff. Is that why I dont need Cream? Have just got some bibshorts to try and wondering if its the use of pads that necessitates creama and whether I should get some now?
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Coach H wrote:
    ..., but applying chamoix cream in public is perhaps on the ragged edge of my comfort zone.

So what is the protocol? It must be more straight forward than I imagine.

Definitely more straight forward. From a recent Bradley Wiggins interview in the Guardian:
    The multiple Olympic medallist and the serial stage-winner bury their hands in their Lycra and apply enough cream to stop any chafing. Such an unedifying routine soon restores the usual banter.

Don't be so shy, just get on with it.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    One tip....always put it on BEFORE you apply the sports balm to other body parts..nuff said :shock:
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    FFS

Some threads crack me up.

Next week, arse wiping for beginners!

I despair...
  • Ron Stuart
    Scrumple wrote:
    FFS

Some threads crack me up.

Next week, ars* wiping for beginners!

I despair...

Not next week youv'e just covered it sunshine :roll:
  • Interesting - you're surrounded by a whole bunch of folks who are most likely wearing chamois cream and you seem to be worried about standing there with cream on your hands and shoving it down your shorts and want to wait until you're in a cubicle ?

Just put it on - nobody will take note or even care.
  • Coach H
    Interesting - you're surrounded by a whole bunch of folks who are most likely wearing chamois cream and you seem to be worried about standing there with cream on your hands and shoving it down your shorts and want to wait until you're in a cubicle ?

Thanks tired, this is the kind of response I was looking for. I was more bothered about what others would think rather than my own embarrasment, as I believe I aluded to.

My, what a happy bunch live in Sportives/Audaxes/Training Rides. No wonder there are so many threads about not being happy with Sportives.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Coach H wrote:
    Interesting - you're surrounded by a whole bunch of folks who are most likely wearing chamois cream and you seem to be worried about standing there with cream on your hands and shoving it down your shorts and want to wait until you're in a cubicle ?

Thanks tired, this is the kind of response I was looking for. I was more bothered about what others would think rather than my own embarrasment, as I believe I aluded to.

My, what a happy bunch live in Sportives/Audaxes/Training Rides. No wonder there are so many threads about not being happy with Sportives.

Whoa! Plenty of good common sense answers to your question on here and to be honest common sense is all that is needed if you think about it. If you are really worried about it find a cubicle or do it at home, if you are less worried then wait until you get there and see what the others are doing. I've been to plenty of races(you know races it's what fast riders do) and plenty of them strip off in the village hall to get ready, in front of anyone whose there. Cycling is a tough enough sport and long may it be so, no need for shyness amongst your peers.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    so as people have said above , you can apply it without taking your shorts off . so why not do it while you are sat in your car when you arrive. just a thought.