making a mongrel bike, advice please!

badbusdriver
badbusdriver Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but will give it a go!.

The bike i really want is a salsa fargo, which is essentially a 29er drop bar mtb, hence why im posting this here in the mtb section. But im a long way from being able to afford one so in the meantime i want to make something as close as i can using my old bike as a starting point. The bike i have is a ridgeback velocity flat bar hybrid bike. Ideally what i want is something with drop bars, but a fairly relaxed position, chunkier wheels, a simplified drivetrain (1x9 or 10 instead of 3x8), ideally disc brakes, though that is probably a bit trickier, esp on the back!.

So a few questions.
1, my ridgeback has an adjustable stem, but i am not sure if i should try using this, or change it. I think i remember reading that if putting drop bars on a bike that originally had flat bars, a short stem should be used to compensate for the extra reach to the drops, does anyone know if this is the case?.
2, as i would be wanting to use this bike for a variety of purposes, including some fairly demanding offroad trails, would 700c wheels be strong enough, or should i use 29ers (and will they fit?).
3, i currently have a 3x8 drivetrain, but i dont really feel the need for all that gears, so had been wondering about using a 9 or 10 speed mtb cassette but just one cog at the front. Is a larger cassette like that likely to fit at the back, or will there not be enough clearance?. I guess what im also asking is, are cassettes a standard width overall?.
4, with regards to brakes, i would like to use bb7 mechanical discs, but my bike has rim brakes. So what i was thinking for the front is change the fork to a disc compatible cyclocross one, or poss a rigid carbon 29er (which, if possible would be my preferred choice). At the back though, is it possible to retro fit disc mounts to a frame?, or would i be better using the existing back brake?.

I would be most grateful of any input or opinions, as my skills and experience at messing about with bikes is pretty limited!. I have been mulling this over in my mind all winter and would like to get started. Mucho gracias amigos :-)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited January 2012
    I won't pretend to be able to answer any of your questions but regarding question 3), 3 x 8 does not give you 24 unique gears there is considerable overlap. 8 & 9 speed cassettes are interchangeable and a 32T chainring combined with an 11-32 (or 34 or 36 depending on where you ride) will be pretty easy to ride off-road but you will spin out easily on the road.

A 34T chainring will make '0.5' gears difference i.e. your 2nd gear at the back (with a 32T chainring) will feel somewhere between 2nd and 3rd. If you fit a 36T chainring 2nd will feel like 3rd, etc etc.

Single chainrings are great when you get them right (don't forget you will need a chain device to keep the chain on a single ring if you are going off-road) but a 22/32 double combined with an 11-34 cassette is a pretty standard trail bike setup that will see you round most trails at the expense of a front shifter/mech etc.

There are adaptors available to fit a disc brake caliper onto a frame but someone more knowledgable than me on the subject will be along shortly.

Good luck!
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    edited January 2012
    .blitz wrote:

There are adaptors available to fit a disc brake caliper onto a frame but someone more knowledgable than me on the subject will be along shortly.

Good luck!

A2Z, I seem to recall. Can't remember where you get them
    Edited: Wiggle, of course. Just looked it up
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    1. Correct but how often will you be in the drops and raising your adjustable stem will shorten the reach a little so some spacer removal and trigonometry/trial and error might get you there.
    2. The right 700C wheels will be fine, off-roading wasn't invented in the 1970s. 700 and 29er are both 622mm it's just fat tyres and a sales pitch that differ
    3. You should be fine for 9 and probably 10x. What .blitz said re double.
    4. A2Z DM Uni mount is the option for the frame conversion. Fits lots of frames but not all.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Thanks for the words of wisdom guys.
    if anyone else wants to add anything, please do so! 8)