Decrease handlebar stem angle?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've always struggled with the high degree of angle on my handlebar stem, it makes me forced to use an upright position and can get uncomfortable. Is it possible to replace this part at all? The stem seems fixed with no screw adjust, do you think it would be possible to replace the whole unit?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited January 2012
    Have a look here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Cate ... goryID=685

The stem can be removed by removing the top cap, then loosening the clamp bolts that attach the stem to the steerer tube and the handlebar. The stem will slide upwards and off the steerer tube.

Refitting it is slightly more tricky you have to use the top cap to tension the headset (steering bearings) but not too difficult.

A 0-10 degree rise is fairly popular for trail bikes & you might want to come down on the length to 70mm or so you're leaning forward but not stretched out.
  • Bike-Rich
    Bike-Rich Posts: 275
    I love this forum :) That's a big relief I can change thanks blitz.

At the moment I have something like this fitted but the angle is much higher!:

$%28KGrHqJ,%21o0E63YVtMvsBO4yt-ludQ%7E%7E60_14.JPG

So you think I can remove that who;e 'riser' thing and put a flat unit in? Do you think I would need to take the slack out of the brake/gear cables?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited January 2012
    No need to shorten the cables a low rise stem won't affect the cable lengths that much
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I doubt that there will be any considerable slack in brake/gear cables. Anyway, you should pay attention to length too, buy too short, and you will be cramped and sit upright, buy too long and you will be over stretched.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bike-Rich wrote:

So you think I can remove that who;e 'riser' thing and put a flat unit in? Do you think I would need to take the slack out of the brake/gear cables?

Just turn it up side down, cables will be fine.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Bike-Rich wrote:

Just turn it up side down, cables will be fine.
    Turn that upside down?! The bars would be below the fork crown :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Might just be the right angle :lol:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2