Square taper BB plastic lockring broken

savvasstavridis
savvasstavridis Posts: 44
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I had my square taper BB changed last year and because of an upgrade I tried to unscrew it from the frame.
The guy who changed it seems that has overtighten it. So, I broke it trying to unscrew the plastic lockring, at the non-drive side (I used the appropriate tool). Tried also the metal part at the drive side but still no luck, it won't turn.
I read about the right direction to unscrew each side, so there is no mistake. Now the plastic ring cannot be turned because the most of it is broken. Should I brake it as long as I will not destroy the threads of the frame? Will the other side loosen this way? Any other ideas?Thnx!

Comments

• Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Just undo the drive side first and then the plastic cup should come out easily. If it won't budge try using a vice on the tool and the frame as leverage, see below. Also cover the new one in grease before you install it so it won't seize...and get a Shimano UN54 or UN55 BB.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ervice-bbt

bb127.jpg
  • Thanx for the answer Neal_!
    I'll follow your suggestions as soon as I get the new hardware.
    The article suggests to soak the threads with a penetrative fluid. Would Motorex chain lube do as well or is it something more specific?
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Nah, chain lube won't do anything and neither will WD40 etc. Use PlusGas