Good Deed of the day

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
A women* in work was asking for help to replace a headlight bulb in her car

"I'll do it" says I, little did i know that she had a Renault Megane - possibly the most stupidest designed cars in the world. to access the headlight bulb i needed to jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove access panel dislocate my elbow to get in correct position, an scrape my knuckles to reach the rear of the light unit (you have to guess as you cant see as the access panel is only big enough for your hand - an you cant see from under the bonnet)

managed to find the back of the light unit an the dead bulb is hanging there - it turns out Halfords have already tried to fit a replacement an couldn't do it

managed to sort it, in the end 1.5 hours for a frikken bulb

last time i help anyone out pah!

anyone else any good deeds recently

*yes she is rather attractive aswell
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Didn't find the lizard importer culprit then?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A MKIV Golf requires removal of the bumper to swap a front bulb, and THAT requires popping off the grill and working around several bolts on both sides.

I changed the near side dip bulb one week only have the parking bulb go the week after.

Grrrr...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    A MKIV Golf requires removal of the bumper to swap a front bulb, and THAT requires popping off the grill and working around several bolts on both sides.

I changed the near side dip bulb one week only have the parking bulb go the week after.

Grrrr...

just looked on a megane owners club website (yeah i didn't think there was one either to be honest...) an that recommends taking the bumper off too
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    mudcow007 wrote:
    A women* in work was asking for help to replace a headlight bulb in her car

"I'll do it" says I, little did i know that she had a Renault Megane - possibly the most stupidest designed cars in the world. to access the headlight bulb i needed to jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove access panel dislocate my elbow to get in correct position, an scrape my knuckles to reach the rear of the light unit (you have to guess as you cant see as the access panel is only big enough for your hand - an you cant see from under the bonnet)

managed to find the back of the light unit an the dead bulb is hanging there - it turns out Halfords have already tried to fit a replacement an couldn't do it

managed to sort it, in the end 1.5 hours for a frikken bulb

last time i help anyone out pah!

anyone else any good deeds recently

*yes she is rather attractive aswell

Renaults are notoriously sh1te to work on and don't have a great reliability record.....

"choose wisely" when lending a hand that may get broken.....even if said burd is attractive!

In other news: I did this on the ML; in fact I did 3 indicators, 2 brake light bulbs, both headlamps and 8 x dash light bulbs - all completed in about an hour.

lift bonnet, Headlight + integrated indicator - 3 bolts and it is off
    unclip bumper trim, Driving lights (below headlights) - 2 bolts and it is off
    Tail cluster - louft boot lid 2 bolts and it is off (the whole cluster!)
    lift boot lid, Rear central brake cluster - unclip and it is off
    Dash - 2 screws and pull down the trim, 4 more screws and it is out.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    This current trend in car construction must go some way to explain why I see so many cars with faulty side- & headlights.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The secret is to buy a ex-Domino's Pizza delivery moped. No indicators fitted, so fewer bulbs to replace.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was told that to change the stereo in a Talbot Sunbeam you had to take both front seats out so that you could gain access to the bolts needed to remove the dashboard.

I have to say that in the ~10 years I've had my Honda what few things have gone wrong have been very easy to get access to to fix.
    I took the door card off to get access to the window winding motor and assembly as the window was coming off of the runners. Very easy to get to but it eventually turned out that all I needed to do was spray some silicone lubricant on the window rubber.

As Jeremy Clarkson said "If Honda made people, no one would die." The problem is, they are working on it:
    title.jpg
    ^^Clicky^^
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    gtvlusso wrote:
    In other news: I did this on the ML; in fact I did 3 indicators, 2 brake light bulbs, both headlamps and 8 x dash light bulbs - all completed in about an hour.

lift bonnet, Headlight + integrated indicator - 3 bolts and it is off
    unclip bumper trim, Driving lights (below headlights) - 2 bolts and it is off
    Tail cluster - louft boot lid 2 bolts and it is off (the whole cluster!)
    lift boot lid, Rear central brake cluster - unclip and it is off
    Dash - 2 screws and pull down the trim, 4 more screws and it is out.
    How comes so many bulbs have blown? Electrical fault?

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,364
    I did our IT ladies bulb on a Citroen, horrible job. But I got a bottle of damson gin a couple of days later. Mrs keeps asking me if any more of her bulbs have blown.
    I did find one of my colleagues in the warehouse with an H4 halogen bulb in his hand muttering loudly whilst touching the glass repeatedly. I asked if he was alright and he mumbled about what he thought the bloke did in his spare time and how he shouldn't talk to him like he did. I suspect the blokes bulb went fairly quickly after he replaced it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I was told that to change the stereo in a Talbot Sunbeam you had to take both front seats out so that you could gain access to the bolts needed to remove the dashboard.

I have to say that in the ~10 years I've had my Honda what few things have gone wrong have been very easy to get access to to fix.
    I took the door card off to get access to the window winding motor and assembly as the window was coming off of the runners. Very easy to get to but it eventually turned out that all I needed to do was spray some silicone lubricant on the window rubber.

As Jeremy Clarkson said "If Honda made people, no one would die." The problem is, they are working on it:
    title.jpg
    ^^Clicky^^

I've met Asimo. Honda brought it to our office one day. It is a fantastic piece of kit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Judging by the line up all robots are going to be dwarfs... :shock:
  • EKE_38BPM
    Apparently Honda make them deliberately CafeWanda size to make them less intimidating. The height of the current Asimo is about 130. I would imagine people's reaction to it would be very difficult if it was over two metres tall.
    Asimo's timeline.

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Apparently Honda make them deliberately CafeWanda size to make them less intimidating.

Somebody in the world that CafeWanda is bigger than :lol:

On my Dad's Pug 307 it was a question of opening the bonnet and reaching behind the headlamp unit and twisting the holder to get the bulb out, on the otherside of the car you have the washer bottle to contend with. Not had the need of his Pug 308 yet but no doubt will be much more difficult.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,364
    A mate stopped by mine as I was tnikering in the garage complaining about the stupid design of the rear lights on his Volvo. Was ranting that he'd spent well over an hour trying to change a bulb and he'd cut his arm several times and had given up. He was going to take it to a dealer where they must have a specially trained monkey with iny hands to do it.
    While he was ranting I told him I'd done it. He kept ranting and I repeated that I'd done it, he carried on for a moment then said "what? Impossible, you can't have. If you have I'll be really pissed off. I've spent ages trying."
    He does have fat hands.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067

Last time my headlight went in my Mk-IV I got Halfords to fit the new bulb for me, charged something like £3 on top of the bulb. Think I spent that much in plasters/antiseptic alone the prior time I did it myself. The guy groaned when he came out into the car park and saw the Golf. Took him about 20 minutes to do it too. Sometimes it's actually worth paying people to do this.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mudcow007

Last time my headlight went in my Mk-IV I got Halfords to fit the new bulb for me, charged something like £3 on top of the bulb. Think I spent that much in plasters/antiseptic alone the prior time I did it myself. The guy groaned when he came out into the car park and saw the Golf. Took him about 20 minutes to do it too. Sometimes it's actually worth paying people to do this.

the megane has already been to Halfords, the guy had a quick fumbled an said "i cant do it" so it was Mudcow to the rescue (cue the thunderbirds music)
  • Manchester City unveil transfer window signings

title.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Oi. You better not be bad-mouthing my team.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Apparently Honda make them deliberately CafeWanda size to make them less intimidating. The height of the current Asimo is about 130. I would imagine people's reaction to it would be very difficult if it was over two metres tall.
    Asimo's timeline.

That's not fair to CafeWanda. They should make them smaller than CafeWanda so she isn't intimidated by them.

Mind you, there are limits to miniaturisation technology.......
    Faster than a tent.......