Belt Drives - are they worth it?

Tegglington
Tegglington Posts: 65
edited February 2012 in The workshop
Good afternoon Ladies and Gent,

I have recently fallen in love with the Trek Soho Deluxe (http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear ... e-12-45827)

but more importantly the belt drive chain. is it possible to buy these as seperate parts? and if so how much? have looked at the web and can't seem to find anywhere onlone to buy them.

also is it worth it? I know it may look rather cool, but does it work they way it should?

Just after a bit of advice from people with experience in these things.

Thanks

Warren

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    but more importantly the belt drive chain.
    Eh???

Belt drive is quieter, lower maintenance and the belt should last longer. You can buy the bits but as you need a dedicated frame with a removeable seat stay section, there isn't much demand.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Owned a district for 3 years now. Still on the original belt and must be getting on to 5000 miles now.

No need to worry about cleaning it oiling or even better getting trousers dirty if you just pop down to the shops.

Would i get another belt drive?

Too right. Gears - well not needed really. Shame this bike is discontinued in the UK.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Who stocks spares for Gates belt drive?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    It is a Trek so no.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Conventional wisdom (previous cycle forum threads) would suggest no.

Because chain maintenance for a hub gear isn't that much effort and the chains are cheap to replace should you decide not to bother at all. Whereas bikes with belt drive fitted tend to be expensive (with the odd hand converted exception - the guy who took a hacksaw to his on-one) and there is a theoretical reduction in efficiency. i.e. cost wise it doesn't stack up.

At this point you should normally encounter a discussion on whether the belts are up to the task in which the following points are made - they are used on motorcycles, a cyclist will generate more torque than a motorcycle during a pedal stroke and a bit about the nice Brit (Mr Beaumont possibly) who cycled round the world with one. :D

The normal collective advice is to forget the belt and consider a full chainguard instead.

I'd still like one though...but on an on-one pompetamine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    tiny_pens wrote:
    a cyclist will generate more torque than a motorcycle during a pedal stroke
    You what - I think not! (only if you forget that torque to the belt on a motorbike gets multiplied about 3.5 times through the gearbox anyway!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    belt drive - brilliant idea in theory - just doesn't work economically at the moment.

Shimano alfine 11 speed hub, chain driven is probably your optimum performance for lowest maintenance hassle alternative.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem