Brake disc size front - rear?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have a 16cm brake disc fitted on rear but need to sort the front out as I currently do not have one.
I just noticed that there are two variations (sizes) of the model type I have on the rear - 16 and 18cm.

Is there a reason why I should get bigger front - back or the other way round? Or should both ends be the same?

Many thanks,

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    People tend to use larger rotors on the front as you need more power to stop you??? If I tried to explain why then this post would be about 3 days long. Maybe someone better with words can explain. Too much power at the back the the wheel will just lock up, as you pushing your weight forward when braking the front wheel resists locking up and requires more power. Maybe something like that.

My bike has a 203mm rotor on the front and 180mm at the back. There are a lot more than 2 sizes available. 160mm front and rear would be adequate for sedate riding and a lot of entry level hardtails are spec'd like this.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Bike-Rich
    Bike-Rich Posts: 275
    Thanks for reply, I can see the sense in having a slightly larger front. My only concern is will a 18cm fit on my front wheel? What is the best way to find out?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bigger rotor= increased power, so as the front is the brake you should be using to stop it requires more power, odviously this has its problem as your likely to go over the bars if you yank it on all at once.

The faster you ride the more stopping power you need, so you may go 203mm front and back as I do.

Its personal preference as to what size rotors you have but too small and you won't stop quickly, too big and you will stop to quickly, although I'd rather that than not stopping.

You may need a bigger adaptor to accept a large rotor on the font, pic would help and make and model of brakes, forks etc
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It'll fit the wheel if you buy one that has the correct fitting - i.e. CL or IS. You'll need a braket for the caliper to match the rotor size and need to ensure your fork is rated to take the new rotor.
  • oodboo
    Need to consider:
    Are the forks rated for the larger rotor?
    Need to buy:
    Rotor with the same type of fitting - 6 bolt or centre lock
    Adaptor - forks are usually post mount but some are IS mount so make sure you get the right one.

Strava
  • oodboo
    Chunkers beat me to it.

Strava