dura ace 7850 wheel problem

jonnycon
jonnycon Posts: 116
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi all

got my wheels out of hibernation to build bike up after winter to find that the laminate has peeled away from the braking surface on the rim ! There is no damage it just seems to have bubbled/flexed away in 2 places about an inch in length (difficult to explain but the join from the braking surface to where the spokes sit) The wheels are just 12 months old with a few hundred miles on them. Has anyone experienced this ? It doesn't look fixable to me & I'm hoping the shop I bought them from will resolve.
Thanks
JC

Comments

• Bring them back, this is serious... if they don't replace/fix the problem don't ever buy from them (Shimano) again.

For the future, stay away from carbon wheels with glued aluminium braking surface... rubbish... get some proper alloy wheels, where the surface is machined and not glued in place
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    Dura Ace products are covered by a 3 year warranty so provided you've got the receipt you'll be able to get them sorted.
    How were the wheels stored over winter? Have they been subjected to temperature extremes? My 7850's are 4 years old this May & not had any problems at all.
    Just a couple of points:
    The 7850's are actually an aluminum rim with carbon fiber bonded to them.More manufactures are bonding aluminum & carbon together & generally is proven to be structurally sound.
    Like anything manufactured there is always the possibility of isolated fails; so ignore the comment above about avoiding such methods of construction.