tightening skewers siezes wheel

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
just putting some old winter wheels on for a ride this eve an noticed that as skewers are tightened/locked the wheel siezes, run free off the bike, is that a problem with the cones? anyone got a solution? please?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Have you tried backing off the tension on the cones? Or, there might be something weird going on with the axle that's allowing it to compress too much - while you've got the cone spanner out, undo the cone on one side & take the axle out for a look.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    When you say they 'run free' are you holding the skewer and spinning the wheel? If so, that is not how the bearing works. The skewer holds the wheel in place and the hub spins around the bearing, not the whole thing around the skewer. Your bearings sound seized. Probably got water in and went rusty when left for a while and will need replacing.

I may be wrong about all of the above but I think not because I'm taking the wheels off my mountain bike in tonight for the same reason. I think the bearings need replacing or stripping and re greasing, but probably replacing.

Hope this helps.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct it if it's all wrong.
  • bianchimoon
    hmmm they've loosened a bit they're Campag Khamsins and i'm guessing you're right - siezed bearings ta!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    AFAIK Khamsins used cartridge bearing hubs - you could try knocking them out and dunking them in oil to try and revitalise them as a temporary fix whilst you sort suitable replacements.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bianchimoon
    Monty Dog wrote:
    AFAIK Khamsins used cartridge bearing hubs - you could try knocking them out and dunking them in oil to try and revitalise them as a temporary fix whilst you sort suitable replacements.

was wondering if there was a temporary fix, thanks
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    you can carefully prize the seal out to clean and regrease them and press it back in after. once they start 'picking up' though they will only get worse with increasing rapidity.
  • bianchimoon
    will give that a go advice appreciated thanks
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I'm amazed that no one has mentioned that hub bearings need to be set up slightly loose, so that when the qr compresses the bearings the wheel spins but has no slack.
    This is even more so if you have the qrs very tight