Tube
    Levers
    Chocs
    Waterproof layer
    Phone
    Money
    Allen keys

Should take more!

In relation to the powerlink for again. How necessary is that. I the never snapped one. Does it tend to be fatties that snap them?!

No, just people with powerful thigh muscles. You'll be fine without any. Carry on! :lol:
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'd say my thighs are pretty powerful. My squatting takes care of that. Perhaps I'm just not clumsy on my pedal strokes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Concorde wrote:
    I'd say my thighs are pretty powerful. My squatting takes care of that. Perhaps I'm just not clumsy on my pedal strokes.
    Thing is, the chain can jump and you could twist a link due to the chain coming (half) off. Or it could just randomly snap.

I've had 2 snapped chains, I think the second one was a result of a replacing the pin from the first one. I've helped about 3 people by giving them a quick link though. Considering they're cheap and weigh next to nothing I'd always carry a couple. It's not like carrying a spare tyre around with you.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • concorde
    bails87 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:
    Thing is, the chain can jump and you could twist a link due to the chain coming (half) off. Or it could just randomly snap.

I've had 2 snapped chains, I think the second one was a result of a replacing the pin from the first one. I've helped about 3 people by giving them a quick link though. Considering they're cheap and weigh next to nothing I'd always carry a couple. It's not like carrying a spare tyre around with you.

Too true, will be sure to get some soon.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Depending on where you ride, it doesn't hurt to have a spare set of brake pads, a big ride on a wet day in somewhere like the peaks can pretty much destroy your pads, its not like they weigh much. I just bung a set in the camelbak and then they are always there when I need them.

If you are riding with others it can be worth splitting some of the common items between you, that way you are not all carrying around the same stuff all day.

...and cant believe nobody's mentioned a spare mech hanger
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Really depends on how far it will be to get back without your bike or body working.

When going for a blast round Ashton Court/50 Acre/Leigh Woods in Bristol (house practically backs onto it) I don't take anything but water and the mobile as the walk home will be short enough for me not to care. If I'm oot in the middle of gawd knows where then I certainly think about the kit I take:

Tube.
    Patches.
    Tyre levers.
    |ipties.
    Duck tape.
    Multitool.
    Mini pliers.
    Mini pump.
    Chain link.
    Small piece of heavy gauge wire.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • concorde
    Speaking of powerlinks?

I want to buy one or two. Cheapest option? Do I need a special tool to go with it? etc etc

Thanks
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Concorde wrote:
    Speaking of powerlinks?

I want to buy one or two. Cheapest option? Do I need a special tool to go with it? etc etc

Thanks

Not sure if trolling, but here you go.
  • concorde
    edited February 2012
    Cheers, I take it the number with sp after it is how many speed your cassette is yeah? Silly question most prob!

How is that trolling?! :?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Concorde wrote:
    I'd say my thighs are pretty powerful. My squatting takes care of that.
    Oh, you take baby wipes and bog roll with you too :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • concorde
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

Nope, usually use a dock leaf :-)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Concorde wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

Nope, usually use a dock leaf :-)
    :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Concorde wrote:
    How is that trolling?! :?

Too easy a question to answer I guess; even on a beginner's forum. Clearly I got out of the cynical side of bed this morning. :wink:
  • concorde
    Haha ok. It was more the do I need a tool to use it. I had found those ones on CRC. But somebody could always know somewhere cheaper.
  • Saladin wrote:
    as well as everything already listed here it doesnt hurt to tell the Mrs/flatmates etc where your going - especially if your going out alone , leave as much info with them as possible - your route, the gear you've got with you, what time to expect you back, what time you'll phone before setting off type of thing.

Just for that little extra piece of mind really.

Endomodo or similar is perfect for this, so long as you arent up to no good. If you badly come a cropper, just by logging on, someone can see where you are by your gps marker, as above, if you are late back, not repomding to a call etc, its easy for your other half to make sure you are OK.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Depends where you're going. For a trailcenter type ride I'd generally take bugger all, I've got a little saddle bag with a multitool and some cash in, a bottle of water on my frame, and that's my lot. Never enjoy lugging around half my house unless I'm going somewhere remote.

Don't fret too much about it, just learn from any mistakes you make :) Those little glueless innertube repair patches, and some split chain links take up almost zero space though, even if you only need them once in a blue moon.