Is my seat too high?

concorde
concorde Posts: 1,008
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
This is how high I have my seat for climbing. It feels comfortable on the whole. Perhaps would like to be further forward though but I can deal with that. I obviously drop it for coming down. But it just looks really odd! Does it suggest my frame is perhaps too small?

imag0476d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    can you pedal efficiently with it.. if it to high you usually find that as you pedal your hips will rock from side to side, and it's uncomfortable..

sit on the bike and place the ball of your foot on the pedal at it's lowest point you should have a slight bend in your leg

or it can be done with your heel on the pedal and have the leg straght, set the saddle hight to match the inside leg.

more info here.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    delcol wrote:
    or it can be done with your heel on the pedal and have the leg straght.

Nuff said.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Without you sitting on the bike we can't tell if the saddle is too high or not, or the frame a little small (leaving more seatpost showing) or not for that matter!

My MTB uses a 16" Kraken (identical to same age Vulcan) frame, I have about the same amount of post showing with a 29" IL.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    I'll pop a piture of me on it later when I get in. There's a slight bend in my leg when pedal is fully down (I think).

Cheers, 'til later.

:-)
  • concorde
    Here's what it looks like - looks odd to me!

imag0478d.jpg
    By rodduz at 2012-01-25

Here's me on it, too high? Frame to small?

imag0482eq.jpg
    By rodduz at 2012-01-25
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Looks about right to me - they only way to tell for you is to have a play.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That saddle looks like its pointing to the sky, should be level or slightly down, get your trusty spirit level on it or use the one in your phone.

Otherwise the saddle position does not look that far out.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • concorde
    Looks about right to me - they only way to tell for you is to have a play.

I usually leave the playing to the mrs :-)

To be honest I think I could do with it a touch higher for efficiency of pedalling but I just thought surely it's gotta be too high when it looks like that!

Cheers all

:D
  • Chunkers1980
    Just don't exceed the max line on the post. Best to stay at least 10mm under it too.
  • concorde
    robertpb wrote:
    That saddle looks like its pointing to the sky, should be level or slightly down, get your trusty spirit level on it or use the one in your phone.

Otherwise the saddle position does not look that far out.

Just checked. Erm... the part that is for my arse cheek bones is dead level, the front 'nose' like bit is pointing well up?! Overall it's probably pointing up yes, is there a way to counter that?

Cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes - undo the seat post bolt under the saddle and tilt and tighten
  • concorde
    Yes - undo the seat post bolt under the saddle and tilt and tighten

I do remember trying that a while back actually and I couldn't undo the bolt underneath the saddle. Will give it another blast or failing that take it to the LBS, see what they can do.

Nice one guys. Appreciate it.
  • Chunkers1980
    Give it a blast of penitrating spray. And lefty loosy ;-)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    If you feel your position is a little too upright, you could maybe fit a longer stem.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    It's your handle bars that are too low........
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Ouija wrote:
    It's your handle bars that are too low........

.....if so consider some dh riser bars??
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    ....found this guide for you from a great bike website.....

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/t ... fit-29498/

.....suggest you sort that saddle tilt as a priority, looks a bit painful
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the topic on sheldons pages. Most people have it too low.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    Cheers all. I have read a fair bit about saddle height and it being too low for more people. I am comfortable on it. I think I will sort the angle of it out as that's bound to aid comfort. As for stem if anything I was thinking about getting a shorter one for better handling. But saying that I'll be getting a better bike in the summer so stem will probably do for now. As I say I'm pretty happy with it comfort wise I was just looking at it and thinking that looks HIGH.

In relation to handlebar height, is it spacers I need to make it higher? *edit just noticed about riser bars, had a look and aye they seem a good option.

And if that's the case that handle bars are too low and seat really high. Doesn't that just mean I need a bigger frame? Or is that not how it works?

:-/
  • Chunkers1980
    IMO you have as smaller frame leg wise as possible, with a reasonable length post. +/- 2" either way from perfect pedal stroke on the flat.

Only options on the bars as you've nothing left on the steerer, do nothing, twist bars, new risers, or a new stem.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Do you feel comfortable / in control on it? If so, i'd leave alone and ride it.
  • concorde
    I feel comfortable apart from not been out on it for ages so arse is obviously a bit sore but I'll get used to that. Only other thing which I do notice is I feel there's a bit more weight than I'd like on my hands. So I think higher bars would make me feel more comfortable?!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Take it thats the std carrera saddle? If so, i've sat on comfier stones. Get something like a charge spoon, can be had for around £15 and a hell of a lot comfier. Or wtb pure v etc.
    Remember the bars are 25.4, not oversize, but some riser bars would help out there. Or go the whole hog and get a new stem so you can get oversize bars too.
  • concorde
    Yeah it Is. It's not too bad really I don't find it. Ok, will have a think about the bars. Firstly by having a read and finding out what oversize bars are Haha.

Cheers
  • concorde
    Worked it out with a little reading. The riser bars I Google don't look like they rise much more than the ones I got on it to be honest. unless I'm completely not getting it.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My riser bars are 3", plus I have a 40mm stem.

Most would say it's a bit extreme but it's all about how it feels.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I've found the below article very good in making changes to my saddle position when I was getting uncomfortable on long rides.

How to Fit a Bicycle

These extracts where particularly useful...

"sit on the saddle with one leg hanging free and your hips square, (not tilting to either side). Set the saddle high enough so that your other heel can just touch the pedal with your leg straight, and with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, in line with the seat tube."

"put the saddle in the forward most position that allows the rider to lift his hands off of the handlebar and maintain the torso position without strain. You should not feel like you're about to fall forward when you lift off the handlebar. If it makes no difference to your back muscles whether you have your hands on the bars or not, you know that you aren't using your arms to support your upper body. If you are, your arms and shoulders will surely get tired on a long ride."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't use spacers to make it higher, no, you've no more steerer to use!

You need a riser stem or bars or both to get the grips higher.

I'd say it looks, fine, just about the same as mine, depending on the riding style anticpated the manufacurer will put the bars at a different height, for 'racy XC' low, more all mountain higher. Either by using longer travel forks, a longer headtube or putting more spacers under the stem (assuming the steerer is long enough).

If you looking at getting a new bike soon, just ride it!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    Okey dokey, nice one!

:)