Kinetic rock & roll turbo

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Has anyone on here got one or used one, just wondered if they were any good and worth the high cost?

Thanks.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    If you were on £26 grand a year tax free you could easily afford that.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Yes got one, yes they are very good. I use it x4 a week so for me it was worth the cost. Kinetic kit is very good, much better than the Tacx it replaced.

The rocking motion puts less strain on a carbon bike, but you can lock it out if you wish. It is a very smooth roller (I have it with the extra heavy flywheel). One possbile downside if you use a powermeter, is that with the rocking motion the power output is less stable than on a typical fixed turbo if you are aiming to train to specific power output goals. Having said that I wouldn't go back to a fixed position turbo now.
  • Thanks for that, I didn't realise there was a choice of flywheel weight. I do use a turbo a fair bit but no power meter (I'm no racer).

I have seen them priced at just over £400 but I think that's not a bad price given the use I would get out of it.
    Tail end Charlie

• Mccaria
    I think its called the "pro" flywheel, you attatch it to the standard flywheel and it takes the total weight of the flywheel to something like 18lb, so its a hefty piece of metal. Of course it is more money also !
  • stratcat
    stratcat Posts: 160
    I've got one too. It was in a crc sale about 18 months ago . With the heavier 'pro' flywheel. I really like it. Quiet and smooth. The rocking motion is subtle, you aren't going to fall off it if you don't concentrate, but it does give a fair way.
    The only downside for me is that its so bloody big. Because it needs to be stable, to not fall over if you lean, the footprint is huge. I can just get it into my utility room, but moving it about is a pain in the bum!! (because it isn't light either) It tends to stay blocking the back door and the washing machine, much to the better-halfs annoyance.
  • stratcat wrote:
    I've got one too. It was in a crc sale about 18 months ago . With the heavier 'pro' flywheel. I really like it. Quiet and smooth. The rocking motion is subtle, you aren't going to fall off it if you don't concentrate, but it does give a fair way.
    The only downside for me is that its so bloody big. Because it needs to be stable, to not fall over if you lean, the footprint is huge. I can just get it into my utility room, but moving it about is a pain in the bum!! (because it isn't light either) It tends to stay blocking the back door and the washing machine, much to the better-halfs annoyance.

If I were to purchase one I'd be setting it up in a 8x10 shed. The floor is strengthened to a degree (it's put up with all my turboing so far) but would it be too wide bearing in mind I have a fridge freezer and a workbench and bikes and other stuff etc.
    Tail end Charlie

• Mccaria
    FTT,

Edit
    According to this article it is 121 cm wide. So you need a space of 195x121 cm
    http://road.cc/content/review/15318-kur ... bo-trainer

I can measure mine up tonight and let you know the exact width (I have the bike set up permanently so it's a relatively easy task)
  • Mccaria wrote:
    FTT,

Edit
    According to this article it is 121 cm wide. So you need a space of 195x121 cm
    http://road.cc/content/review/15318-kur ... bo-trainer

I can measure mine up tonight and let you know the exact width (I have the bike set up permanently so it's a relatively easy task)

Thanks mate, but there really is no need to go to any trouble, if anything it's the possible load bearing of the shed floor I'm most concerned with; given such a trainer possitively encourages you to get out the saddle and put more load on the whole shebbang.
    Tail end Charlie

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    This could be a contender for shed, sorry, thread of the year :wink:

(Or you could save £400 Frank and just ride your bike, just an idea :) )
  • random man wrote:
    This could be a contender for shed, sorry, thread of the year :wink:

(Or you could save £400 Frank and just ride your bike, just an idea :) )

A knife to heart mate, a knife to the heart. :lol:

BTW, do ya want that Kharma or what?
    Tail end Charlie