Happy Burns Day/Night

zippypablo
zippypablo Posts: 398
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Anyone having haggis or going to a Burns supper to celebrate a long dead serial sh@gging poet?
If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I normally do but I am too busy this year.

I will be raising a dram or two though and may well have haggis for dinner.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • It's also the Chinese New Year.
    So if you want to celebrate both, give someone a Chinese Burn.......bum bum.

Sorry I'll get my coat
  • I had the honour of addressing the haggis at a local burns night held on Saturday, really enjoyed it, both the ceremony and the supper.

If you've never been to one they're a good night out (well ours is anyway) It has the ballance right not irreverend without being like a load of old stuffed shirts job.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    I will be having haggis tonight, its been in the freezer since summer and Ive been tempted by it many times.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Had ma Haggis,neeps & tatties last night 8) - to heavy for the gym tonight.
  • I'm having veggie haggis, i know i know, and a single malt i got for xmas. somewhere down the line my grandmas relatives came from the highlands - so i'll be raising a drink to the kilt wearing whisky swilling part of my 'clan' hehe.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Where did you get veggie haggis from?
    I was looking for some for a friend at work but couldn't find any.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • Macsween make a really good veggie haggis and I'm sure it's sold south of the border.

I'm going to have a baked sweet potato with said veggie haggis for my tea :-)
  • Morrisons had them 1.50£
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Macsween make a really good veggie haggis and I'm sure it's sold south of the border.

yes defo sold south border, available in Kington, Herefordshire :) but had the meat version instead, very nice with a wee (large actually, slainte )Talisker, made all better by being my b`day too :):):):)
  • No haggis for me but happy to announce I am 1/2 way through a very nice bottle of Glenvilet...Glenlvite...whiskey Hic
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I suspect haggis is something I'd have been able to eat and enjoy if I hadn't already been told what was in it. But now that I know its ingredients beforehand I could never actually put any of it in my mouth. I also prefer bourbon to scotch. So as far as Burns night goes that just leaves the poetry.
  • I suspect haggis is something I'd have been able to eat and enjoy if I hadn't already been told what was in it. But now that I know its ingredients beforehand I could never actually put any of it in my mouth. I also prefer bourbon to scotch. So as far as Burns night goes that just leaves the poetry.

Believe me haggis is far more tasty than the sum of its parts, lovely, honest.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • daviesee
    I suspect haggis is something I'd have been able to eat and enjoy if I hadn't already been told what was in it. But now that I know its ingredients beforehand I could never actually put any of it in my mouth. I also prefer bourbon to scotch. So as far as Burns night goes that just leaves the poetry.

This attitude really amuses me. Do you eat sausages? Do you know what goes in them? You probably don't want to.....
  • daviesee
    No haggis for me but happy to announce I am 1/2 way through a very nice bottle of Glenvilet...Glenlvite...whiskey Hic

It's clearly affected your spelling. :wink:
    Whisky.
    Good taste though. I have a glass of the 15 year old next to me here :P
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Believe me haggis is far more tasty than the sum of its parts, lovely, honest.

I don't doubt you at all, it's a mental block I have about eating organs that I can't break. I love meat (pnfarr pnfarr) and I tease some veggie friends who say they can't eat it but in turn I find it hard to get over the eating of internal organs. Liver and bacon for example, smells fantastic, tastes great too...but then the texture thing comes in and I think 'Liver! you are eating organs'...and I can't go on. But if I had tried haggis not knowing what it was I most likely would have scoffed it down.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I certainly did partake of a haggis, and very nice it was too. Carried on the "north of the border" theme thanks to a special offer at the local supermarket on the always-excellent Deuchars IPA to wash it down with. :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal