FAO legal eagles. Dangerous vs Careless driving

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So, whiling away the hours yesterday, I ended up on the CPS website.

Just over halfway down this page it says
Dangerous driving includes situations where the driver has of his or her own free will adopted a particular way of driving, and also where there is a substantial error of judgement, that, even if only for a short time, amounts to driving falling far below the required standard. If the driving that caused danger was taken as a deliberate decision this would be an aggravating feature of the offence. ......

The following examples of circumstances that are likely to be characterised as dangerous driving are derived from decided cases and the SGC Guideline 'Causing Death by Driving' (http://www.sentencing-guidelines.gov.uk/guidelines): ......
-overtaking which could not have been carried out safely;
-failing to have a proper and safe regard for vulnerable road users such as cyclists, motorcyclists, horse riders, the elderly and pedestrians.....

So why do so many cases involving cyclists end up as 'merely' careless driving? When failing to show regard for cyclists is specifically named as a circumstance is 'likely to be characterised as dangerous driving'?

As I have some personal interest in this, this passage has potential to be very satisfying...but we'll have to see how it turns out
Dangerous driving is an either way offence carrying a level 5 fine (£5000) and/or 6 months custody in the Magistrates Court; in the Crown Court the maximum penalty is 2 years' custody and/or an unlimited fine.

Wherever the case is heard, the Court must disqualify the driver from driving for at least a year and order an extended retest,
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    as a general rule dangerous driving usually involves prolonged bad driving rather than a split second one off decision.

This is a very general statement of the approach.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    It's also far easier for the CPS to secure a conviction on the "lesser" offence of careless. "Dangerous" requires someone's driving to fall far below the standard expected - most non-cyclists wouldn't consider a close-pass to be at that level of seriousness (for example).
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Isn't intent/intention a factor as well?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hitting a cyclist you don't see (until too late) is generally careless, hitting one you have seen and pass to close to may be enough for dangerous.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    Hitting a cyclist you don't see (until too late) is generally careless, hitting one you have seen and pass to close to may be enough for dangerous.....

Simon
    Here's hoping.....
    MTB/CX

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    bails I wouldn't be too surprised if the driving in your case is ...overlooked, and just the assault charge is taken up.

I'm not a lawyer, yada, yada, I don't know the details (and you shouldn't share them), your mileage may vary.

It might sicken me, but it just wouldn't surprise me.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    TBH you're lucky these days to get the police to take it seriously. When I got hit recently, hard enough to break the wing mirror off the car overtaking me, the police didn't bother pursuing it as I wasn't sufficiently injured to require hospitalization and the woman claimed she'd not touched me.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • bails87
    Yeah, I know, it may be a long shot, but I can hope. Hopefully the other actions will give them some incentive to also address the driving.

I had a very positive meeting with the police last night, so we'll see.
    MTB/CX