Cycling +

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
My sister paid for a subscription to C+ for me for Christmas. Feb is supposed to be the 1st issue delivered but I haven't received it yet. I know it's not actually Feb yet but I'm just wondering when the mags usually arrive?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• I bought a subscription on Jan 10 and have been notified that the MARCH issue will be my first, shipping FEB 1, so I'd have expected you to have got the Feb issue by now.

You can contact them at cyclingplus@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Headhuunter
    OK I just phoned them, apparently my 1st issue is the March issue (even thought she took the sub out in Dec!) and it should be with me next week...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They send the March issue out on the 1st of Feb?

Why is it the March issue? :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    They send the March issue out on the 1st of Feb?

Why is it the March issue? :?
    I never did understand why, but nearly all monthly magazines do this. I guess its something to do with print runs and distribution networks.

Update: Answer off google:
    "Say your monthly magazine reaches newsstands on the 5th of each month. Do you call the issue that comes out on 5th of July the July issue? No, because there's a risk that come 1 August, the July issue will be cleared off the shelf and your magazine won't be on sale for at least five days until the August issue arrives. Dating a month ahead ensures your magazine is on the stands until the next issue comes out. That's why magazines are dated a month ahead."

Seems a bit simplistic to me...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Indeed and if your near the end of July, what magazine are you most likelyto buy - July suggests it out of date - August suggests is newly out.

as if they are fooling anyone but themselves ;)

actually, i'm crediting the general british public with far more intelligence than they deserve, they are probably fooling a lot of people.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    It was also brought about to get the jump on the competitors. That mag is June's, but this is July's, the fact it's January is nothing to worry about :D

But anyway the cover date is usually the month before the publish date

It's magazine world you know. We're already half way through April, and working on features for May on the magazine I work for. Only when you look out of the window do I see it's still Jan
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Newsstand copies of Cycling plus go on sale on the 1st. sub copies shoudl be afew days before.

Consumer mags always have this thing of naming the magazine a month ahead of the publication date. Always found odd.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    snooks wrote:
    It was also brought about to get the jump on the competitors. That mag is June's, but this is July's, the fact it's January is nothing to worry about :D

But anyway the cover date is usually the month before the publish date
    It's magazine world you know. We're already half way through April, and working on features for May on the magazine I work for. Only when you look out of the window do I see it's still Jan

Maybe the month after? :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • The February issue of C+ was actually out - or at least was delivered to subscribers like me - in December, due to Christmas deadlines and stuff, I guess.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • March issue arrived by post yesterday :)
  • Headhuunter
    March issue arrived by post yesterday :)

Yeah got mine too now...