FAO UndercoverElephant

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
You obviously know how to fit Chromoplastics...

So, do you use the little black plastic thingys which go on the end of the support arms? Or do you just use the nuts and bolts to secure?

Comments

• my 2p worth - if you mean the ones on the front, I use them. i think it makes it less rattly. I can't recall if there were the same forthe rear but I dont use them, IIRC I think they couldnt be fitted with the rack as well...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I use them front and rear, but I had to get the Dremel out to trim the stays to fit.
  • london-red
    my 2p worth - if you mean the ones on the front, I use them. i think it makes it less rattly. I can't recall if there were the same forthe rear but I dont use them, IIRC I think they couldnt be fitted with the rack as well...

No, I think it's the ones at the other end that connect the actual guards to the support arms. Leaving the plastic bits on means cutting the arms, not using them means you can simply extend the arms further through the holes. I know this probably doesn't make much sense...
  • Yep, I use them too.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Yes, a dremel / jnr hacksaw are your friend when it comes to fitting chromeplastics! I also employed a drill at one point.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    London-Red wrote:
    my 2p worth - if you mean the ones on the front, I use them. i think it makes it less rattly. I can't recall if there were the same forthe rear but I dont use them, IIRC I think they couldnt be fitted with the rack as well...

No, I think it's the ones at the other end that connect the actual guards to the support arms. Leaving the plastic bits on means cutting the arms, not using them means you can simply extend the arms further through the holes. I know this probably doesn't make much sense...

It makes perfect sense. Use the plastic bits :D

You only have to cut the stays roughly to the right length because the nut/plastic thingy combo allows some adjustability. It will look better, be easier to adjust, be less prone to rattle (perhaps) and you won't have any sharp pointy bits.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Yes, trim the stays so that you can fit the plastic end caps and they don't stick out. Junior hacksaw was my friend.
  • I just marked the stays with a felt pen at the correct length and then broke them with fingers. I think I done the front ones with my teeth.
  • london-red
    Thanks guys, looks like it's the hacksaw again then. Did the front guard a couple of weeks ago. Bloody nightmare.
  • I didn't use them, but regret it every now and then when the stays cut my legs. Basically you fit them, cut the stays and re-fit them with the little black thingies. Until the little black thingies fall off, which they apparently do anyway. I suspect the best way is to cut the stays and then smooth them off with some grinding action.
  • london-red
    I didn't use them, but regret it every now and then when the stays cut my legs. Basically you fit them, cut the stays and re-fit them with the little black thingies. Until the little black thingies fall off, which they apparently do anyway. I suspect the best way is to cut the stays and then smooth them off with some grinding action.

Gotcha. Thanks. I was pretty sure the picture of your Genesis didn't show them.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Yup, fit the black bits. Apart from anything else it just looks a lot tidier.

Tip - a hacksaw would be a pain on chromed steel. I used bolt croppers in situ - piece of the proverbial.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:

Tip - a hacksaw would be a pain on chromed steel. I used bolt croppers in situ - piece of the proverbial.

Full-sized hacksaw is a pain, the junior ones work really well on the stays.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:

Full-sized hacksaw is a pain, the junior ones work really well on the stays.

Pliers

I have a grip that can crush a grape...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Heavy duty wire cutters worked for me. I didn't use the nipple covers on the front just made sure the outer ends of the stays were cut off relatively close to the pinch-bolts and within the arc of the guard, then smoothed them off with a file to remove any danger. If you leave them sticking out or proud of the mudguard you exacerbate the overlap issue and to use the covers and have them stay put you need to leave the end of the stay too long IMHO.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: