I was a very naughty boy this morning.....

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
My parents have gone on holiday today an asked me to take them the airport

so i left my house at 4am - parents only live 10mins away. I live on a one way road, im about 100yards from the junction (going the wrong way) or 5 mins to drive around.

running late i drove the wrong way (yes i know i shouldn't) down our road,

it was empty, you can see if any cars come the other way etc, but i know i still shouldn't

Anyways I get to the junction, just as a Police car was passing. I get pulled he checks my license an asks where i'm off too.

after checks comes back he says "im not going to tell you off as you obviously know your not suppose to do it, Don't do it again....off you go"

which i thought was damn decent of the chap

so moral of the story - not all police are bad
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• No the moral of the story is: don't take shortcuts, they invariably take longer... :)

The outcome of the story shows that not all police are bad...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Would it have been alright if you'd have driven down it backwards?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    No the moral of the story is: don't take shortcuts, they invariably take longer... :)

I was chased down by the police on Christmas Eve. Had been hammering along on a countryside dual carriageway which had a 40 limit (unusual given its in the middle of nowhere). Pulled over, told I was definitely not doing 40 and to slow down and off they went.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Normally I wouldn't mind, but something I noticed the other day, as a pedestrian, is that you get used to one way streets, and generally don't look the way in which you don't expect the traffic to be coming from.

Could have been a accident with a child if you weren't careful, which I am sure you were. ;)

**Re-reads OP and realises that no children would have been out at that time of morning!!! :) **
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • It was a one-way street, and you were only going one-way. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Near where used to live in London was awkward 1-way system and the obvious route (quicker) had a no-right at the end even though traffic was 2-way on the road you couldn't turn into. Wife (at the time) decides to try her luck and does a right only to be confronted by 2 cops on horseback coming that way. They stop her, lean down and give her the choice of reversing back and turning left this time or take a ticket. Needless to say, she reversed...
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You give all drivers a bad name, mudcow!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    If you did that regularily I bet you would never have been caught.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I did the same thing in Italy once - been looking for a hotel for ages (long before Sat Nav) in Milan. Eventually spotted it the wrong way up a one-way street. Thought "Bagger this" and drive up the road only to pass the Polizei (sp?) coming the other way. They didn't bat an eyelid! I love Italy.

When I was a kid, my dad got pulled for something similar. He parked, not realising that his car was the ONLY car parked on the road facing that direction. He'd thought that the road was one-way but I'd told him (aged about 5 at the time) that there was definitely an arrow pointing in this direction. With the police there, he asked me to show him the arrow I'd seen: it was the "Give Way" triangle painted on the road at the junction! The police saw the funny side.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    There are a couple of tiny 1 way stretches near me designed to avoid residential roads being used as rat runs for people trying to bypass the kingston one way system. Occasionally the police hide up the road and ticket people doing that. I must say I support this. Obviously they don't do this at 4am when there's nobody around, but at busy times.
    This is the advantage of flesh and blood policeman over enforcement cameras. A policeman can see the difference between someone sneaking out quietly at 4am and some twunt rushing about scattering pedestrians because he believes he is more important than everyone else.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So you're not the Messiah then?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I did the same thing in Italy once - been looking for a hotel for ages (long before Sat Nav) in Milan. Eventually spotted it the wrong way up a one-way street. Thought "Bagger this" and drive up the road only to pass the Polizei (sp?) coming the other way. They didn't bat an eyelid! I love Italy.
    Driving around Padova trying to find a restaurant with customers whilst visiting the classic car show hailed a cab to lead the way. Cab took off at great speed, hire car revving it's nuts off in close pursuit. Turned the wrong way up a one way at about 40mph on narrow cobbled streets. I was terrified, and I was driving. Imagine how my passengers felt.
    Also there is a film in which a cab driver going the wrong way up a one way street in Rome nearly mows down 2 motorcycle policeman. They yell at him that he's dangerous. He replies "Me dangerous? You're the ones with guns."
  • mudcow007
    So you're not the Messiah then?

i was watching "Life of Brian" last night

my absolute favourite bit

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy....now pi$$ off"!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    396186_275316609199975_100001649134375_786261_1050840752_n.jpg
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Imagine the high horses that would roll in if mudcow had been on a bike and seen a driver going the wrong way up that street and getting let off by the popo.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I do hope you also ran a red light ...? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:

While on the phone?

Arrgh car drivers all the same etc
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • mudcow007
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

While on the phone?

it would have been a lovely drive this morning if it hadn't been for those bloody cyclist, riding along thinking they own the road jumping lights an riding on pavements.

Why don't they pay road tax like us law abiding citizens

an some of them wear lycra!!
  • Clever Pun
    Round up the bikes it's lynching time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

While on the phone?

I'm pretty sure if BJ had been there he'd have caught all this on his vigilantly style helmet cam :P :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    JZed wrote:
    No the moral of the story is: don't take shortcuts, they invariably take longer... :)

I was chased down by the police on Christmas Eve. Had been hammering along on a countryside dual carriageway which had a 40 limit (unusual given its in the middle of nowhere). Pulled over, told I was definitely not doing 40 and to slow down and off they went.[/quote

I had the once as a young driver. Driving within the speed limit a car flashed me several times from behind, so I slowed down, then blue light came on and I pulled over.

Me: "Why did you pull me over"

Policeman: "I thought you were driving too fast"

Me: "Was I going over the speed limit"

Policeman: "No"

Me: "Then why did you pull me over then"

Policeman: "is your tax disc in date"

Me: "Why don't you check it, you are going to whatever answer I give"

Policeman after checking tax disk: "Off you go then, but don't drive so fast next time"

WTF!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Not all coppers are bad...

I was drafting a bus for a good mile keeping a nice pace of ~28mph and a safe'ish distance that I felt I could have stopped at and I knew there was a car that joined behind me as I was taking position. I then pulled over after the initial mile as my course deviated from the bus and blindly waved the car past. It rolled past and was a police Fiesta. The driver signaled a little wave to me and was on his way... Damn decent of the chap too! :D
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3