Cable rub on titanium frame?

Stu 74
Stu 74 Posts: 463
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got myself a Rock Lobster Titanium frame :D and was wondering whether I need to copter tape it?
As there is no paint on it and I guess titanium is harder then aluminium do Ti frames suffer from cable rub and / or chain rub?

Many thanks

Stu

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Ti is pretty hard, but seem to remember that the RL have a slightly brushed/polished finish.

Cable rub will probably scratch/polish it over time (and in the wrong direction), so you might want to just put a clear pad over to protect the frame.
    I personally don't worry about bikes that much (and MTBs more so), as they are designed to be ridden and not polished.

But I know to some people, their bikes are their pride and joy. I am an ex RL Ti rider/owner, but I had mine custom sprayed for various reasons LOL
    Great bike/frame - enjoy. It was a pleasure to own and a very memorable bike - it always got lots of nice comments on the trails.
    Simon
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Can't hurt to copter tape it, just on the rub points. Cable outer is the toughest substance known to man, it'll rub through anything! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sorry, clearly bunkum , everyone knows that dried weetabix is the hardest substance known to man.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The above is very true!

But ti rubs away, so cover it.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Sorry, clearly bunkum , everyone knows that dried weetabix is the hardest substance known to man.

Simon
    "Weetabix ? Thankfully every little Aussie vegemite knows there called "Weetbix" :lol:

And getting back to Ti frames, I haven't protected mine yet, been riding it since xmas and theres a little rub on the headtube but on Ti it looks great.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BigStu2 wrote:

Simon
    "Weetabix ? Thankfully every little Aussie vegemite knows there called "Weetbix" :lol:

And getting back to Ti frames, I haven't protected mine yet, been riding it since xmas and theres a little rub on the headtube but on Ti it looks great.
    Shame they can't spell Mamite ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    You can stay in Germany Nick if your going to mention that "M" word. Plus I've never seen English girls marmite wrestling, not like our girls they know its good for more than just their complexion...........might also prevent rub on titanium frames, will go and rub it all over my ragley right now :mrgreen:

65780409.jpg
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    Shame they can't spell Mamite ;)
    Err.....

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    All we need now is a Kiwi to jump in stating that Marmite actually kicks Vegimites arse while making the distinction that the Kiwi Marmite is not the same as the UK's inferior Marmite and that the Kiwi Marmite is the best things since sliced bread (which the Kiwi will also probably claim they invented)
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Thanks for the replies. Built her up last night, she's a stunner :)