tenn outdoors

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
just a quickie,im after a cheap cycling top.doesnt need to be waterproof just breathable and fairly windproof. they have a sale at the moment but im just wondering if any of there stuff is any good?

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    link to what you are looking for would be helpful :?:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's cheap?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • not as cheap as i would like, any links to better/cheaper stuff? have popped into my local aldi today and wastempted by some tights. theyare meant for skiing thpough so i thought they maybeabit warm?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Really weird shape - I ordered one of these and found the chest size way too big for the waist - tried 2 different sizes and it must have had a 34 inch waist with a 48 inch (or more) chest - cant imagine anyone being that shape... The smaller size I tried was also too short.

Smaller sizes may be more sensible - buit it was just plain weird...
  • maybe not then, any recommendations for a decent fit top and fulllength tights?
  • apreading
    To be fair to Tenn, I also got one of these http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/sale-tra ... nblack-sml and the shape/sizing was spot on. Not sure what is up with the shape of the jersey you linked when I got it. As this is in the MTB forum you may like the one I linked to here - roadies would probably hate it and it may not be what you are looking for, but its even cheaper and I thought reasonable quality.
  • looks good for what i need,how does it perform with regards to wicking/moisture removal?
  • apreading
    Havent tried it yet, so cant answer but looks OK - doubt if anything this price would be any better...
  • cooldad wrote:
    That's cheap?
    Not cheap but it is ugly. Don't spend £40 if you don't want it to repell water, air or anything else. Wear a T-shirt! Seriously, you can spend fortunes on mtb clothing. Believe me I have but you get what you pay for in terms of performance/durability. At this time of year you need more than one layer which is another factor to consider.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    does it need to be a cycling jersey ie with the zip on the front and pockets on the rear?

If not get your self over to your nearest sports direct branch. You'll find plenty of running / football long sleeve t-shirts for £5-10. All made from quick drying / wicking sports fabrics. Also for the tights you can get a pair of running tights and pull over your normal padded shorts.

or get the DHB bib tights from Wiggle (they are fantastic and the only reason I shop at Wiggle).
  • crispy1980 wrote:
    just a quickie,im after a cheap cycling top.doesnt need to be waterproof just breathable and fairly windproof. they have a sale at the moment but im just wondering if any of there stuff is any good?

Just as a quick asside to this - I received my order from Tenn yesterday (ordered on Thursday, free Royal Mail delivery) and I'm well impressed with the kit - Bib tights and Base Layer long sleeved. Looks good quality at very good prices.
    Am having to return the base layer for a larger size, but returns seems a trouble free process so far!
    Good stuff...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • It's good stuff. Mega good value and performs as well as many of my expensive items of cycle clothing. Superb service too - returns are dealt with VERY quickly. I'm a "normal" size (5'8", 34 waist, 40 chest) and the stuff fits fine, except the shorts which assume chicken-thin legs for some reason.

The wicking is as good as any synthetic fabric I've used. Did someone say cotton t-shirt as a base layer? If you want to suffer from hypothermia in this weather, go for it. . .
  • Yep I went out in a cotton vest as a 'base layer' and didn't take my keys on the ride so was locked out for about 40 mins on sat. Ended up shivering in the cold as my cold wet vest began to chill my entire body. Not fun! So found the Tenn eBay shop and ordered myself my first proper base layer! Will try this week if I get the correct size in time!
  • ive now got apair of cheap tights that i tried out yesterday and i have to say i found them much better than wearing trousers. seem to allow much more freedom. it was 6am when we set off and was well into the minus degrees but once moving i was warm enough with just the tights on the bottom half. going to order a top now. think i will try one from tenn.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's good stuff. Mega good value and performs as well as many of my expensive items of cycle clothing. Superb service too - returns are dealt with VERY quickly. I'm a "normal" size (5'8", 34 waist, 40 chest) and the stuff fits fine, except the shorts which assume chicken-thin legs for some reason.

Do you mean the baggy shorts or lycra?

I've got chicken legs, so it would be handy to know! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Quick update - gave the Tenn Outdoors bib tights (with stirrups) a go tonight for the first time, they are brilliant. Really good and kept my legs reasonably warm considering the minus temps tonight! Awesome vfm at £25 - big thumbs up :D
  • I can't wait for my softshell Jacket to arrive which I ordered on Friday, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow so I can try it out on my swing shift on tuesday 8)
  • bails87 wrote:
    I'm a "normal" size (5'8", 34 waist, 40 chest) and the stuff fits fine, except the shorts which assume chicken-thin legs for some reason.

Do you mean the baggy shorts or lycra?

I've got chicken legs, so it would be handy to know! :lol:

I'm talking lycra shorts - I still use the pair I got even though they're a bit too tight round my thighs, because the padded bum is good in them.
  • Quick update - gave the Tenn Outdoors bib tights (with stirrups) a go tonight for the first time, they are brilliant. Really good and kept my legs reasonably warm considering the minus temps tonight! Awesome vfm at £25 - big thumbs up :D

Mark, what size are you and what size fitted you? I'm thinking of ordering the same things. Cheers bud.

Mark, what size are you and what size fitted you? I'm thinking of ordering the same things. Cheers bud.
    I'm 5ft 9ish and about 75 kilos and the Mediums fitted me fine. I'm slightly stocky, not overly long in the leg, so they are a little tight round the hips but not too bad to make me go for large and potentially then they may be too long in the leg. Hopefully will lose a bit more weight!
    All in all for £25 I think they're mint. :D
  • Nice one Mark, thanks for your help, I'm 5'8" and 75kg and similar build, so glad I asked. Cheers mate.
  • No worries. Had to exchange the base layer for large as compression fit was too tight in a medium! Took the large for a run tonight and have to say well impressed.
  • My Softshell arrived today, unfortunatly it will be sent back for an exchange due to being too tight under my arms, the rest of the fit is perfect though.