Removing a Failed Kryptonite Lock - Not Theft

danielboddy
danielboddy Posts: 60
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So i have my bikes locked together in the garage with a pair of Kryptonite Evo 4 LS locks, one has always been perfect one was a little notchy to get the key to fit home (took a couple of pull out and push ins) but always worked, then on Friday when preparing to go away for the weekend and take one of the bikes , the key pushed in and was hard to turn, couldnt remove and and couldnt do anything really. tried to gently force one way and then back but the key just started to turn without getting any feedback, then the key about 1/2 anyway came out leaving the remaining half in the lock!
so my question is legitamately what do you suggest to remove this lock from bikes (angle grinder? bolt croppers?) i dont want to spend much on this and im hoping to borrow from my work the correct kit but what would you suggest is best to cut through my very secure lock...
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19332
Description 13mm hardened steel shackle resists bolt cutters and leverage attacks
or alternatively i can hacksaw it off over a very long time.
currently trying to get hold of Kryptonite UK customer services for their advice as well but dont hold much hope.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you don't have the tools pop into a local lock smith. They will have suitable tools to hire.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The Kiwi guys next door took off a proper clampers clamp chain off their hippy type van wth a angle grinder no sweat it seemed.
  • cheers for the suggestions guys i will follow up and see if we have an angle grinder at work then see the locksmiths of not.
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Yep angle grinder.

Make sure you think about where the sparks fly. Tyres seem to burst quite easily when showered with sparks and tea towels and blankets catch fire unless wet. Mmm I wonder why I know this?!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if it's kryponshite bolt croppers will do it... or hacksaw..

anglegrinder a tad extreme but would make mince meat of it.. be careful not to damage the bikes though.
  • RyanMK43
    RyanMK43 Posts: 113
    I’m sure read some where about people using bottle jacks or other car jacks on D locks to nick bikes on a police study thing about how safe is your bike. I'm guessing that will work quick and easy if thieving little f*uckers are using them
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Liquid nitrogen - worked in Terminator 2.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Stick the kettle on, put car jack between the two bars of the U and keep winding until the lock falls apart, go to make cup of tea. Obviously not done this myself despite my location but have seen it done on TV. U locks aren't the best really.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Neal_ wrote:
    Stick the kettle on, put car jack between the two bars of the U and keep winding until the lock falls apart, go to make cup of tea. Obviously not done this myself despite my location but have seen it done on TV. U locks aren't the best really.

this is why I use a small D lock that only just fits around the frame + the thing it's locked to. No room for a car/bottle jack.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    http://youtu.be/6AdugFzCi24 - 6:50 onwards.

Dead simple with the right kit.

Kryptonite stuff is only any use for insurance purposes. Likewise the Sold Secure standards.
  • my mate has a set of bolt cutters the fire service use and they work well on car clamps so should do this easy :)
  • finally got around to sorting this out a few days ago,
    Small angle grinder hired from local tool hire with two cutting disks £11
    about 1 minute on each side to cut through.... one cutting disk used.
    I have my bikes back in use.
    Cheers for the suggestions