How should I have the wheel in the fork before tightening QR

bus_ter
bus_ter Posts: 337
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I've noticed when fitting the wheels either with the bike upside down (with just the weight of the weels in the fork) or the bike the correct way up and some body weight on the bike, the quick release tightens the wheels up in a slightly different place. Such that I need to adjust the brake positions slightly. The wheels seem secure in place either way. Why this slight variance in the quick release lock position? and what is the correct way to place the wheel in the fork before tightening up?

Comments

• is that the front wheel, back wheel or both?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Add more weight to the bike when tightening the Qrs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bus_ter
    is that the front wheel, back wheel or both?

The Front.
  • Make sure the correct part of the wheel is fully engaged in the dropout on the fork before (and when) tightening the QR - I noticed whne I first did this that if I was not careful when I did up the QR the wheel sometimes might move slightly (especially when doing it with the bike upside down - cause I don't have a stand) but now I know it can happen - and watch for it - it doesn't and I can do it fine.
  • bus_ter
    So is it best to sit on the bike with your bodyweight pushing down on the wheel and then tighten up the QR?

I will do this from now on..
  • bus-ter I claim no great expertise but when I do mine now I just make sure the axle is fully in the drop outs and push down to make sure. The key for me is making sure it doesn't then move when I do up the QR rahter than the pressure as my axle slots easily into the dropouts if alinged properly with them and just needs a bit of pressure to keep it there. Hopefully someone more expert will advise as well though as you don't want any mistakes in that area!!! :shock: .