reliable wheels for winter riding - advice please

le_boss
le_boss Posts: 183
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
looking for a new set of wheels for winter rides. preferably with sealed bearings as had nothing but bad luck with shimano hubs.

max budget of £150. so basically its a choice between planet x model b, mavic aksium or fulcrum 7s - unless someone can recommend any alternative?

which is best value for money and which will be the most reliable?

cheers

Comments

• I've got some aksiums and fulcrum 7s and out of the two I prefer the aksiums, simply because I prefer the quiet freehub as opposed to the louder freehub on the fulcrums. Other than that there really isnt anything between them!

Hope this helps.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I bought some Shimano R500 wheels from Merlin for £70. Not sealed I know but have been faultless-not sure you can go wrong with them for the money
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    If you do not put a hospipe or even worse a pressure washer near the Shimano hubs they will last quite a few winters (mine have lasted for years).
  • le_boss
    le_boss Posts: 183
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    If you do not put a hospipe or even worse a pressure washer near the Shimano hubs they will last quite a few winters (mine have lasted for years).

guess you have been lucky.
    i had a set of r500s which didnt get through 1 winter riding last year and replaced them with rs10s (all i could really afford at the time) and same issues with the hub & bearings.

thanks for the responses. did look at the fulcrum 5s but for training wheels i think they are a bit too much.

think im going to go with the fulcrum 7s. only read positive reviews and with sealed bearings hopefully i wont have to face the issues i have had with the shimanos.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Or you have been unlucky?

I have some Tiagra hubs that have seen out five winters with only one regrease in that time! They are still fine. maybe the 'groupset' hubs have better seals?

i also have had some RS30s for 18 months (mostly dry miels though) and they are fine.
  • You can get Fulcrum 5's from Merlin for £150 but they appear to only have the Campag hub in at the moment.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Shimano hubs are sometimes under-greased for winter use. I like to pack a lot of grease in to keep the crud out. Ive used unsealed Shimano hubs with no issues at all. There is apparently, some disadvantage to a packed hub, maybe in terms of racing efficiency.
    There are tales of stock cartridge bearing systems being undergreased and running almost dry.
  • It seems a bit late to think about winter wheels... in three weeks we might be out of it.
    For bad roads riding, whether it's winter or spring, I suggest a set of traditional wheels with 32 spokes. The quality of the hubs will determine how much you spend. Your budget is tight, but I am confident something decent can be built.

Among those you mention, none fits the winter wheel requisites, the Aksiums are possibly the sturdiest, but I wouldn't call them reliable wheels (and yes, I have had a pair of Aksium)
    left the forum March 2023
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    just my experience but...

I have commuted through the winter on my 2011 aksiums and they have been faultless.
    I am mid weight at 72kg. Not great roads, not cleaned often enough either.

For the money I am totally satisfied with them
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    I abuse the Hell out of my aksium winter trainers and they are just fine, though I have rum Shimano R500 in the past without any problem either
  • Campag Sirocco G3 they're bomb proof. well car proof anyway ( tested all too well)
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • bourne1
    bourne1 Posts: 10
    You can get 105 hubs on open pro rims at dave hynde for your budget i would take them over the acsiums any day i have no experience of the other wheels.
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Campag Sirocco G3 they're bomb proof. well car proof anyway ( tested all too well)
    In my previous experience with campag rims I found great difficulty in getting tyres on and off.