Southern XC Series for a Newbie?

IShaggy
IShaggy Posts: 301
edited January 2012 in XC and Enduro
Now when I say 'newbie', I really do mean it - 1st MTB is being delivered tomorrow, hopefully!

So my MTB handling skills are zero. But I do have a reasonable endurance base, having spent the last 6 years participating in triathlons (including ironman), duathlons, sportives, and running races. And although not fast, have lots of road-bike miles under my belt. Yes, I'm another roadie seeing the light - or going over to the dark side, depending on your point of view.

I love racing, and my early summer A-race is going to be the Hellrider, (8 hr duathlon - 5k run/8k MTB, repeat till done), which TBH is a runners race. I'm looking for some events/races leading up to that. So far I've entered the Asics Trailman off-road duathlon. I'm also thinking about entering the Tuffman duathlon - but as this is in 10 days time it's probably a silly idea for what would be my 2nd time on a MTB. It's at Pippingford Park and the MTB course there looks a little interesting, especially when wet.

I was wondering if the Southern XC series would be suitable this year given my 'zero' MTB skills? Will I be very embarrassed, lapped, and shouted at for holding up everyone else? Which category would be appropriate? I'm a Vet, but would the Sport be more appropriate? What about the Open? Is it possible to enter both the Open and the Sport if time allowed? Or is it better to leave it for this year, and enter next year's series when I've learnt not to fall off as much?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Either southern or Gorrick depending where you are. I would only do 1 to start, as it will be tiring. The Vet cat is probably the place to start. Sport and open can both be v competitive, whereas super competitive vets can play in super vets (do sxc do supers?). Skills help, but fitness ultimately wins races, so with only fitness on your side a mid ranking still sounds possible. If you get lapped in vets, I would be surprised, so don't worry about that.

Welcome to the dark side ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    They do have a super vet category - but the super refers to their age rather than their ability. it's for those over 60.

Looking at the times from last year there does seem to be quite a spread - for example, the Vet cat for round 2 had times ranging from 1:14 to 1:58, so it may not be too lonely at the back.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ok, that's a pity. Super sometimes means split ability cats instead. In Gorrick it's grand vet for the OAPs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.