What 29er for trail/race (marathon)

acer1597
acer1597 Posts: 28
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new bike with 2.5k to spend. I have demo'd a few 29ers and really feel they suit my brief. I'm 6 ft 1 and the ones I have ridden seem to fit like a glove. The shortlist so far is Specialized Camber Comp 2.4K, Scott Spark Elite 2.2K and also considering hardtails especially Whyte 829 1.8K and Canyon Grand Canyon 9.9SL 1.8K. Is their any others out their worth a mention and therefore a demo and what do you think of my above shortlist so far.

Many Thanks
Alex

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Worth putting an Anthem X 29er 1 on your list to, I'm looking along similar lines to you (although only demo'd the Anthem so far). I'm planning to price one up from bits though as prefer Shimano and want different wheels. The Rose Dr Z 29ers look good value as well, demo might be harder to sort though.
  • Sheppy
    Sheppy Posts: 140
    I had the same decision recently, tried a Gary Fisher Rumblefish which I thought was really good. Also tried the Anthem X 29er, loved that too. Didn't try any others (probably a bit stupid but finding somewhere you can test them is difficult). Personally went for the Anthem X1 29er due to the fact I do longer rides and it's *supposed* to be quicker, but hard to tell from a 30 min ride! Both felt suprisingly quick and nimble though.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    look at the superfly 100 too, but my choice would be the scott spark from your list above. dunno what it is about the anthem, i know its meant to be great, but i just dont like the look of the rear shock system, and the scott one is simple and has a lock out.
    If your racing this will be a major benefit.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty