Maxxis Minion DHF - Tubeless?

Alan P
Alan P Posts: 127
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Does anybody know if the 2.35 sizes can go tubeless? I know they do them in 2.5 tubeless ready, but I don't want to run that wide. Alternatively, what about High Rollers?
Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can't comment on the tubeless factor but 2.35 Minion DHFs seem to be the result of a mistake at the Maxxis factory - they are very, very narrow - narrower than most other manufacturer's 2.25s and definitely narrower than a 2.35 HR. Imagine a scaled-down DHF tread stuck on a narrow XC carcass and you won't be far wrong.

The 2.5s are not that much bigger but the tread/carcass combination makes a better tyre - a proppa DHF if you like.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I ran mine tubeless- both folding and wire bead. Both worked well, there's a lot of rubber in the sidewalls so they sealed easily.

As for sizes, do remember they're old Maxxis so the size on the side is all fibs. 2.5 comes up almost bang on 2.35, ironically, 2.35 is more like 2.15. Still, wouldn't really recommend a 2.5 for general use myself.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I've been running a 2.35 Folding Minion on a Stans Flow rim for over a year now. Went up first time with a track pump, sealed straight away and hasn't gone down since :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know of a few who run Minion DHF 2.35 tubeless no problem. Tubeless ready rims or converted. From all I've read they're rather good for it. Not sure if folding or wired is better though, but wired will add a fair bit of weight.

High Roller look to me to be identical size/fit to the Minion for the size. I have 2.35 Minion front and HR back, but currently with tubes. Thinking of tubeless but then again I think of all the mess and hassle involved too.
  • Alan P
    Alan P Posts: 127
    Thanks guys, I'll go for the Minion DHF then and go tubeless. Cheers
    Ibis Mojo HDR (2014)
    Canyon Grand Canyon AL29 (2013)
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Bit of a hijack but does anyone know if the Maxxis tyres will seal in a ZTR rim without a rim strip i.e. only using the yellow tape and sealant?

Cheers

• Northwind
    Oh yeah, absolutely- in fact you shouldn't need a rimstrip with a Stans rim except with really slack tyres. Once you add yellow tape it's functionally the same as UST so most tyres will fit well.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Cheers for that - sets my mind ease a bit before I order something today! Still not sure what to order though. Was originally going to stick with Fire Xc pros but read too much info about them not being great in a tubeless setup. Then nearly hit buy on a set of Nobby Nic Evo TL's. Then my mind got distracted again with talk of Maxxis High Rollers. The HR's would certainly be the cheapest option I think. I'm after an all round tyre. I've the wheelest sitting in the garage with sealant and tape so just the tyres to buy.

Off to have a think. Thanks for the info

• Northwind
    Never used modern Panaracers myself but they do have a rep for being baggy and loose-fitting... High rollers are never a bad call tbh, never the best call either probably but never a bad one
    Uncompromising extremist
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Don't try XC Pro's tubeless. I tried one last year on a Mavic XM719 rim with stans rim strip. Took ages to seal and kept burping air through the bead. Never had any problems with Maxxis tyres.