Pedal Advice

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Have just brought my first pair of SPD shoes and pedals. Can I expect to see a performance improvement in speed, power etc ?

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Depends what they are replacing...

PP
  • Apologies, I'm currently just using flat pedals and some running trainers
  • pilot_pete
    Well, once you get used to them and stop falling over ;-) you should find it more efficient. With dedicated shoes and cleats, correctly positioned and with a descent insole you will find them more comfortable as well as the rigid sole preventing flex as you push on the pedal. I don't think you will get any more power, but you should be able to put more of your available power into the pedal stroke (if that is what you were getting at) which will lead to that more efficient pedal stroke and hence will reap some benefit in terms of speed. Going uphill will be more efficient too and you may find that slightly easier than before as you can do a bit of a pull as well as push when the going gets really tough!!!

Enjoy. And you WILL topple over at some point, we all have!

PP
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    As you will be better connected to the bike you should have better power transfer and control. Don't expect any more speed unless you push harder which the pedals will allow you to do.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Falling off isn't compulsory. I've been attached to my pedals for nearly 10 years without incident. I tend to cycle alone and on quiet roads though, and I've probably jinxed myself now!
  • Thanks for all the replies. Looking forward to getting out at the weekend now. Going to give them a try-out on the Turbo first and try and get used to the release :wink:
  • pilot_pete
    Most systems allow you to adjust the tension for the release, worth backing that off to start with to make the release relatively easy. Tighten it up as you get used to them...

PP
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    Falling off isn't compulsory. I've been attached to my pedals for nearly 10 years without incident. I tend to cycle alone and on quiet roads though, and I've probably jinxed myself now!

Can you give us the number of your next of kin so we can call them when you fail to post here? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • SPD pedals fixed. Shoes in post. First attempt this weekend. Escaping toe clips as supplied with bike. Not sure how to best line them up but will go google that. Any tips here in meantime welcome (start off with tension backed off noted).
  • Just go for it! I was like you, nervous about using them but a few practise unclips before you go and the loosest tension is the way forward. You will spend the first few junctions un-clipping way early but it very quickly comes very easily. I'm blessed with exceptional clumsiness and after the first ride I was absolutely fine.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    If you have never done any clipping, then it might be worth wearing only one SPD shoe, and a normal trainer. Just go for a 5 min loop, with turns and junctions, so you can practice unclipping (and if it goes wrong you have your normal trainer foot to rescue things.

If you feel happy with that then put the other SPD shoe on (that you might have left by front door) and go for another 5 min loop. Try unclipping every 100yards, and clipping back in without looking down.

And if you're the nervous type, it's better to unclip a shoe early (approaching a junction, lights etc) and then clip in, rather than wait until the last moment and rush to unclip.

It all gets better with practice!

Until it gets so natural that you forget.
  • Thanks for all the advise. Got them set-up this evening and had a try clipping and un-clipping on the Turbo. I found it easiest at about half tension as when it was too loose I couldn't tell whether I was clipped in or not.

One slight issue I have is with my shoes. I brought some Diadora Chili's and the cleat plates are in a different position in both. I couldn't manage to move them. Anyone know how to do it? I didn't want to hammer at them and break them :oops:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Just make sure you well and truly tightened up the cleats to the sole.
    Go for that test ride and then check.
    If they work loose, well, it becomes interesting to say the least.
  • Apologies, what I meant is that I want to move the plate (thing the cleat screws into) forward on one shoe so it is in the same position as the other shoe.
  • jgsi
    Take the inner shoe sole out and see if you can move it so its balanced up.
  • Take the inner shoe sole out and see if you can move it so its balanced up.

I took the insole out but there was another layer underneath which seemed pretty fixed. Shall I attempt to take that out?
  • jgsi
    That may be the waterproof covering. If it' s thin and if you tear it then you can always replace with a bit of duck tape.
  • That may be the waterproof covering. If it' s thin and if you tear it then you can always replace with a bit of duck tape.

It's a woven layer that's screwed in with a round head pin (Sh1t description, but it's not something I could remove).

I'm a bit stumped to be honest :evil:
  • All sorted now. The plate was just stiff and needed a good whack. Was a bit apprehensive with it being my first pair of shoes but all it needed was a bit of welly. Thanks for all the help.
  • First time out yesterday with the SPD's. Going great guns until I got home. Unclipped my right foot no problem, forgot all about my left and went to get off, proper arse over tit. Slightly embarassing :oops: :mrgreen: