Talas or Float?

freddy-b
freddy-b Posts: 24
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have the choice of buying a Fox Talas 32 RL 140mm 2010 2nd hand In very good condition, Not used alot ( from a friend )

Or i can get a Fox Float 32 RL 140mm 2010 New... For the same price...

Where i can rly see myself using the Travel Adjust on the talas is on a pumptrack...

Which fork should i purchase?

Thanks,
freddy

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have talas 36 rcs on 2 of my bikes.. while the idea is good you have to ask your self will you use it. i find i just use mine in 160mm 99.9% of the time..

i may do the first climb at lee quarry in the 120mm position. (only because thats whats the forks are on when i get the bike out of the car) then i bang it up to 160 for the ride..

when i replace the forks i wont get another talas i will get floats or vanillas. (if i go fox again) more likely i will get bos devilles though...
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    delcol wrote:
    i have talas 36 rcs on 2 of my bikes.. while the idea is good you have to ask your self will you use it. i find i just use mine in 160mm 99.9% of the time..
    same here but 32 150 rl fit for me, besides id say new is better than secondhand, warranty issues etc
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Float or why not get some RS Revs
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As above. If you really want Fox then get Floats. Revelations are better though
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Old TALAS- the 3-step version- is a bit pants... Affects the performance of the fork all the time, and the short modes don't work that well either- fine for simple climbing etc but not as good as they should be for any rougher stuff. Float is a great fork but TALAS spoils it a bit.

If you really want height adjust, a Rockshox u-turn Revelation would be a better bet- uturn means the fork works just as well as a non-uturn fork, and works properly at all lengths too, so it's far better if you want to do any actual riding in the lower settings, not just climbing. Slower to adjust though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Northwind wrote:
    Old TALAS- the 3-step version- is a bit pants... Affects the performance of the fork all the time, and the short modes don't work that well either- fine for simple climbing etc but not as good as they should be for any rougher stuff. Float is a great fork but TALAS spoils it a bit.

If you really want height adjust, a Rockshox u-turn Revelation would be a better bet- uturn means the fork works just as well as a non-uturn fork, and works properly at all lengths too, so it's far better if you want to do any actual riding in the lower settings, not just climbing. Slower to adjust though.

except the 2011 and prior u-turns take half an hour to wind down.

Performance difference between the talas and the float is minimal but i would say the float edges it as the 3 step does have a small inpact on how smooth it is, but you have to be really paying attention to noitce, but the floats are a tad lighter too.

I like the rock shocks but i really dis like the previous itterations of U-turn due too fact it adjustsa mm at a time totally silly :S
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Half an hour? I measured 8.73 seconds ;-)
  • Northwind
    except the 2011 and prior u-turns take half an hour to wind down.

Funny, because I can do it in a couple of seconds while riding ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have got u-turn domains, two whole turns of the knob to go from 115mm to 160mm. Takes a few seconds & makes no difference to performance
  • DTW
    DTW Posts: 82
    But changes your geometry.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.
  • Northwind
    That's kinda what it's for.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Thread seems to have gone a bit OT.

The Float fork is better performing than the Talas. But the Talas is useful for some people.

[OT]
    Personally I would have liked to have seen a Talas 160/140/120. But I can see why Fox went 160/120. The 100mm setting on the older Talas 160 was almost useless. 120 is much more useable.[/OT]