For "forks" sake.....

Abra
Abra Posts: 338
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning guys,

I don’t imagine there is a quick answer to this question so sorry in advance.

I brought a Giant Talon 2 back in 2010, It’s fitted with Suntour XCM v2 100mm forks with a lock out. I was told when I got the bike that the frame was decent enough but the forks won’t be up to scratch after you start to get use to riding and really want to push yourself. I feel like I’m at this point now and want to upgrade. The problem is I know Jack Sh*t about forks.

I've tried reading up but a lot of the information is going over my head. Coil / air / travel / fitting (is it universal) / duel crown / single crown ?

Finally it’s a difficult question but what would people recommend for a budget of £200 /£250 - trail / XC. red and blue trails.

I was looking at these but again wouldn’t have a clue if there good or not?

What does the RL stand for?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1008558/

Thanks in advance...I hope?! :?
DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Rigid forks, then you'll be able to sleep soundly again.
  • RL = Rebound adjuster and Lockout, those are decent forks for what you want to do, but check these out for your budget:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... L-2012.htm

Once you login to order them (free account) you will get 10/20% off them when you order.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • Yes, Recons would be a good fork. The Talon is designed around 100mm forks, but 120mm should still be ok.

DO NOT BUY THE ONES YOU LINKED TO THOUGH

They can be had cheaper brand new, the seller is having a giraffe.

try these instead

Massively generalizing here, but air forks tend to be lighter than coil forks, coil forks tend to feel "plusher" through the entire stroke. Air forks are more tuneable to rider weight.
    For a 100mm travel bike, Air is almost always a better bet if you can afford it.

Travel - How far the forks will move. Your talon was built around 100mm, but it should take 120mm without any major issues.

Fitting - 3 main types, 1 1/8", 1.5" and tapered (1 1/8 at the top and 1.5 at the bottom). Your talon is 1 1.8". It is important to make sure the steerer (the tube that goes up through the frame) matches this size, or it wont fit.

Dual crown - You mostly see these on downhill bikes, they look like this and almost always have LOTS of travel.
    Single crown - Like the ones you currently have. They look like this
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The lad had XCM V2's on his spesh, they aren't a bad fork, but aren't good either.

As he's an impoverished student and doesn't get handed stuff on a plate either he saved up and we got some reasonable Manitou single air's off ebay, you can get them for about £50-80, get a good set and they are superb value for money.

I was so impressed I used the money I was saving for some new forks to do the same....quite happy with my choice.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Mate has a talon and he has done the same, fitted 120mm rebas and the bike is so different, actually feels good.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Abra
    Thanks for the crash course guys. Appreciate all the help! Specially CWNT!

There a ton cheaper plus the 10% off and brand new! I'll probably end up getting them.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Abra wrote:
    Thanks for the crash course guys. Appreciate all the help! Specially CWNT!

There a ton cheaper plus the 10% off and brand new! I'll probably end up getting them.

Fantastic fork for the money.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The reba comes out at only £225 with the extra 10% taken off at checkout ;) Only wish i'd waited for mine. I got the recons gold TK solo air 100mm. Happy with them but reba's for under £250 thats a steel!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... L-2012.htm
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well actually they're Alu steerer ones ;-) Pretty sure that's been done before, but I like it.

Phil did you pay 200 notes for yours?
  • Well actually they're Alu steerer ones ;-) Pretty sure that's been done before, but I like it.

Phil did you pay 200 notes for yours?

Be careful with Merlin when they say Aluminium steerer. Mine were supposed to be aluminium but when they came it was steel. I emailed Merlin to raise the question and was told it was a mistake on their behalf and they never had the Alu steer ever so I was given a further 10% of my next order. which was ok by me cos I got my SLX disc brakes for £125.00

The model I got was when they were £179.99 but had canti bosses as well............ Still looking for some damned 8mm Hope hose guides to fit the bloody things :(

So really wish i'd waited for the Reba's to reach this price.
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • Chunkers1980
    10% off is not potentially much. I'd have sent them back. Must be a shed load heavier.
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 13901S.htm

Was in the same position as you and got these cos' my budget couldn't stretch to the rebas and they are great aswell....
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • 10% off is not potentially much. I'd have sent them back. Must be a shed load heavier.

Probably are a bit heaver mate but I'm no whippet and I couldn't afford an alternative fork with the same spec at the time. :)
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • Abra
    Sorry for digging up an old thread but I never really got round to buying the forks posted. Im going to get something today but I just need confirmation i'm not buying the wrong product. Just a Yes will suffice!

No longer interested in the Recons. I thought for a couple more quid these would be better right?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSRERL-SIL-9-118/rockshox_reba_rl_dual_air_100mm_fork__26_inch___white_and_silver___9mm_qr___1_1_8
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, If you have qr wheel and the correct adaptor for brakes. You'll need a pump too.