Middle ring needing replaced?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Folks,

My chain is currently slipping - especially when it's a bit sloppy. It's a brand new chain and a brand new cassette - about 2 weeks on the bike. Am I right in thinking the next stage is to change the middle ring?

It's SLX. If I need to replace it is it a T30 bit I need to remove the chainring bolts? Do I need any other tools?

Thanks

Comments

• 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    You need http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14305 + allen key to remove a chainring properly.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep you generally need a T30 if it's the same as 770 xt. You don't 'need' the tool linked above - if it does slip try and grab it with a food knife or something that fits the slots.

Perhaps just a steel Deore ring - same BCD - last ages.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    As above a steel Deore is about as good as it gets. Cheap as chips, lasts ages and only a few g heavier than a boutique chain ring.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Thanks folks. Deore ring ordered. Hope it solves the chain issue otherwise I'm scratching my head!

Thanks

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wide flat bladed screwdriver or any bit of metal/knife/etc you can fit there and the relevant allen key. Don't waste your money on the special tool. Or I've never needed it at least.

And yeah, steel Deore +1. Ugly, cheap, lasts forever and works.