Neck injury recovery and prevention

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Bike Radar.

Was out riding last Sunday at Chicksands and had a pretty big crash on the small jump about 2/3 down the downhill track. Hit the jump, tried a cross up, which gained a little enthusiasm and started going into a whip. It seems apparent about half way through the jump that I can't do whips, so I ended up landing sideways down a hill flat out, onto my side, followed by my head hitting the ground with quite a lot of force.

Injuries, well, a big old bruise on my hip, few cuts on my arms, and a good bit of whiplash from where my head impacted the ground.

So 2 questions: 1) How long does fairly minor whiplash take to heal? It's not car crash levels of whiplash, but my neck/upper back is stiff and sore and I've got a thumping headache. Is there anything I should do/not do? I've laid off the gym yesterday as I didn't want to make it worse, I assume this is a wise move to not overload it?? When would be a good time to return? and 2) would a Leatt/AlpineStars neck brace help prevent another similar injury? I am using a full face.

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1- depends.
    2- if attached to all the gear like a spine protector maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    i wouldnt be doing any exercise with whiplash

ive had it a couple of times, and it tends to fade a bit after 3-4 days

have you been to the docs ?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I came off at Lee quarry in July, neck is just about right now!

Get checked out at the docs then if all is well go for a deep muscle massage that helped mine loads.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    Thanks for the replies. 3 1/2 days on it's starting to loosen up a bit, not so sore, yet still not perfect by any means. Got another group going back to chicksands this Saturday so I'm going to rest it up good and proper for then. Not been to the docs, try to avoid them. If nothing improves by the end of the week I best go I guess.

Putting the pennies aside for a leatt!