2012 Trek Fuel EX 7 or 2012 Giant Reign 2?!? HELP!!!

MrP627
MrP627 Posts: 10
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my first MTB and I've been researching for almost two weeks. Needless to say, I've had to soak up a lot of info and new lingo. Still, I am a big noob, so I thought asking advice from the people here would be best to help me make a more informed decision.

Anyway, due to availability and price, I've narrowed down my choices to the '12 Trek Fuel EX 7 or '12 Giant Reign 2. ( I've considered the '12 Trance X3 but really liked the suspension on the Reign 2 and seemed a better deal overall) I want to start off with mostly single trail tracks but then work my way up to more technical trails. I'd also like the ride to be as comfortable for my back as possible, so the plusher the ride, the better for me. Also, has anyone there ridden both bikes multiple times? I'm interested in long-term performance and how they both hold up on all day rides.

As for the weight issue, I was told the '12 Reign 2 weighed in at 29lbs without pedals so I figure it could go up to 30 or so lbs with pedals, would that really be too heavy for a beginner like me? Seems light enough since the Fuel EX is around 29lbs, or so I was also told. Would 2 lbs really drag me down considerably on long rides?

Basically I'm looking for the best all around bike that I see myself keeping for at least a couple of years. So what do you guys think? Thanks in advance by the way!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Reign is more comparable to the Trek Remedy. The Trance is equivalent to the Fuel EX.

Spec is pretty similar. Can you get a test ride on both?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would add that you will be disappointed if you're buying a FS primarily for comfort. They are designed for traction, shock absorption, stability & efficiency, not sit-in comfort.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As the guys have already said, the Reign is more hard hitting and suited to harder stuff, Trance is a better bet unless you intend on hitting harder, bigger stuff.

My Reign is around 34lb so your carrying a bit more around for singletrack than the Trance or Fuel but it comes into its own when pointed downhill.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • MrP627
    Shock absorption is one of the primary things I'm after so maybe that'll work out? I just want a great bike that can absorb bumps and stuff.

Unfortunately in my country, test riding is limited to outside the shop. One of the reasons I posted here is maybe there's someone out there that's had the chance to put these bikes thru their paces. Being new to the MTB scene I think I would not have been able to really test out either bikes real potential anyway. Both felt comfortable to me though.

Also, the Remedy 7 is still not available here and for some weird reason, it is really much more expensive. There's already about a USD300 price difference between the EX 7 and Reign 2 where I'm from. And yeah, I know that the Reign 2 is supposed to be the more expensive one but like I said, for some really weird reason it's actually cheaper. The '12 Remedy 7 would come in with an estimated difference of USD700.

I'm looking for a great all-around bike that will help me improve my skills and the Trek seemed ideal. But I just considered the Reign since it seems more capable for future use and doesn't seem that heavy for an AM bike (not sure if I'm right there). And since it is cheaper, I thought it was giving me some bang for my buck to consider.

Thanks by the way! Just keep the comments coming! :D
  • 1mancity2
    The Reign will do everthing you do now and more, its a good all rounder, climbs well, decends well, and is capable of doing light DH duties, and your right its not overly heavy, can't comment on the Trek.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reign is awesome but the Trance is lighter & will climb better. I had a Trance X3 and it was great, better than the Fuel EX7 by a long way.

1mancity2 - How is your Reign so heavy? My 2011 Reign X2 is 2lb lighter than that even with EX721 downhill rims & 2.35" Muddy Mary's. Have you filled your tyres lead?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    .blitz wrote:
    Would add that you will be disappointed if you're buying a FS primarily for comfort. They are designed for traction, shock absorption, stability & efficiency, not sit-in comfort.

It's not designed for it but comfort is a by-product of everything you mentioned. It's certainly comfier than a hardtail in most scenarios.
  • MrP627
    Was actually leaning just a little bit more on the Trek when I started this thread but I think that's changing now. Guess the question I really had on the '12 Reign 2 was whether or not it would be a great all around bike despite the AM classification.

Hey, has anyone tested either '12 models on actual trails? Curious about the suspension performance on both bikes on long trails and how they compare to each other.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 - How is your Reign so heavy? My 2011 Reign X2 is 2lb lighter than that even with EX721 downhill rims & 2.35" Muddy Mary's. Have you filled your tyres lead?

Reverb seatpost, double and bash with guard, 160mm domains (heavy as lead) and mine is a Reign not Reign x.
    When I had the Revs on it and no dropper post it was pretty lean.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Reverb seatpost, double and bash with guard, 160mm domains (heavy as lead) and mine is a Reign not Reign x.
    When I had the Revs on it and no dropper post it was pretty lean.

I know your's isn't a Reign X, thats why I'm shocked it's so heavy. My Reign X is running double & bash, DH wheels & Lyriks, yours should be no heavier than mine.
  • 1mancity2
    Hmmm, maybe my scales our out.
  • carlt69
    carlt69 Posts: 74
    I really like my Fuel Ex7 and it's improved my speed out on the trails :D

But then my mate has a trance and he loves that........the only difference is I have to wait for him at the bottom :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Your mate must be a bit of an old woman. Trance descends far better than the Fuel, I have ridden both. Trance has better geometry & suspension.
  • 1mancity2
    carlt69 wrote:
    I really like my Fuel Ex7 and it's improved my speed out on the trails :D

But then my mate has a trance and he loves that........the only difference is I have to wait for him at the bottom :lol:

Bet you would be faster on the Trance.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    carlt69 wrote:
    I really like my Fuel Ex7 But then my mate has a trance

[harry hill mode on] FIGHT ! [/harry hill mode off]
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fuel is just a standard XC bike & very average. Trance is a singletrack & trail missile capable of taking some major abuse.
  • MrP627
    Should I be putting the '12 Trance X3 back to the table? Out of the three which would be best for a bit of XC, a lot of trails and some technical trails? I heard the new Fuel EX line has adjusted their geometry so I thought that improved its performance as an all around MTB.

Has anyone had the chance to test out all three '12 models?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Definately consider the Trance. For what you want I would go for the Trance over the Reign
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    For what you want it looks to me like it's between the trance and the fuel ex. My guess is you wont be dissapointed with either so get which one you prefer the look of and then enjoy it. You'll always have a nagging doubt that you got the wrong one. Use your mind to narrow down to these two then let your heart make the final choice.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MrP627
    I think I'm already familiar with that nagging feeling oodboo (maybe I should get used to it). I had previously narrowed down my choice between the Trance X3 and the EX 7 but chose the EX 7 for the look, better suspension and components. As I am still waiting for the next shipment this 1st week of Feb for the EX 7, I passed by my LBS and they had the Reign 2 in stock. I was impressed with the suspension and weight for an AM bike and so I was thinking if I should just buy the Reign 2 already or wait for the EX 7.

As I also mentioned before, the '12 Reign 2 is also much cheaper ($300) where I'm from so I was considering it as better value perhaps for my money? Was also thinking I could use the price diff to upgrade to some SLX or maybe even XT components.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Just had a look at the three bikes you mention and for the riding you have described and money would go on the Fuel EX7 in black and blue. I prefer the look of the bike. It's got shimano gears and I prefer these over SRAM and the brakes are a slightly higher model (elixir 3 rather than elixir 1 on the Giants). That's just my opinion without taking into account the difference in price. Upgrades can be made later on as things wear out.

Of course this is your money being spent so your choice to make. Just saying what I would buy and why.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • MrP627
    Yeah, I think in my heart I already picked the black/blue Trek but have been getting impatient waiting for my LBS to get it in stock and got excited/distracted with the awesome satin black Reign 2 arrived :-D

1-2 weeks (hopefully just one) left!!! Arrrgghhh!!! I so want to ride my own bike already!!!
  • MrP627
    Hey feel free to keep posting your personal insights and/or riding experiences on these bikes, let's even add the Trance X2 into the mix :D.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one finding this thread helpful and educational.