Reba travel reduction

EH_Rob
EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've just obtained a 2012 Reba RL. I'm just wondering how big a job it is to reduce the travel from 120 to 100? Not thinking of doing it immediately, I'm gonna see how I go with 120 first, just wondered for future reference really.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is all travel you just add a 10mm spacer or two or one 20mm one (that should have been supplied with the fork) during a service. all the info is downloadable from Srams webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • EH_Rob
    Lovely, ta!
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Nicklouse, is there any other way of making sure that they are all travel? I am considering second hand Rebas RLT 2011 for 180 eur, but they are 90mm of travel. I called the seller, and he told me that RS don't make all travel forks anymore (?!), and that they are fixed. How likely is it that they are all travel? PS, I think that they came with a bike, not aftermarket...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • nicklouse
    the only way is to have a look. Oe stuff can be anything even Recon internals.......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • EH_Rob
    Not sure how helpful this is, but if you can stretch to £225 you can get a new 2012 Reba RL from Merlin whilst the discount accumulator is still there.

As long as you don't mind white. I wanted a black one but couldn't justify £49.95 extra for a different colour.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... L-2012.htm
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Here's the Bike Radar guide, I'm attempting to increase the travel on my 2008 Reba Sl's tonight or tomorrow...hopefully mine are all travel!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... rk--26840/
  • EH_Rob
    Good luck Neal, let us know how you get on...
  • 386ka
    Hi, I have just talked to the guy selling the Reba, he said that it came with 2 spacers, (one for one side of the fork he said?!), and that he is positive that it can not be adjusted to 100mm. But he said that he never opened the fork to see if that is true. I forgot to ask him how long were the spacers. Anyway, is this possible?
    Cheers, and sorry for the tread hijack :$
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Only one side takes spacers.
  • 386ka
    Yes, I know, but with the two spacers that came with the fork, does that make the fork all travel, and can it be converted to 100mm?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to open the fork and look, is the only way to be sure.
  • nicklouse
    386ka wrote:
    Yes, I know, but with the two spacers that came with the fork, does that make the fork all travel, and can it be converted to 100mm?
    Maybe.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Neal_ wrote:
    Here's the Bike Radar guide, I'm attempting to increase the travel on my 2008 Reba Sl's tonight or tomorrow...hopefully mine are all travel!

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... rk--26840/
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Good luck Neal, let us know how you get on...

It was a piece of pish and fortunately my Reba's are all travel so I was able to remove the spacer to increase the travel :D

The hardest bit was unscrewing the top caps as whoever had tightened them up before (I bought them second hand) obviously had no idea they should only be torqued to 7Nm :roll: Also there was no oil in either of the lowers or the top of the air side so the service was well and truly needed. Another slight difficulty was the cir-clip pliers bending but that's what you get for buying cheap rubbish from ebay, they did the job and will be fine for occasional use but wouldn't last long with regular use.

As well as using the Bike Radar tutorial and SRAM Rock Shox technical manual I used this handy pictorial guide someone has kindly made on the MTBR forum (http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/rs-reba-rev ... 31885.html)

Also I replaced all the o-rings using the £8.75 kit from evilhomersimpson on ebay which is definitely worth it, the stanchion seals seemed fine.

I used Rock N Roll Super Slick Grease for all the o-rings/threads, Red Line LightWeight Suspension Fluid for the damper and fully synthetic engine oil for lubrication (both lowers and the air side upper) as it is slippier and adheres to metal parts better than suspension fluid.