cycle transportation ?

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Following the what car thread in the buying advice section. i see a lot of people transport their bikes inside their cars, this got me thinking.....

do you just throw your bike/wheels in the boot (loose),,. or do you secure them ie strap them down or have some kind of retainer to stop them moving around, or flying forward into the driver/passenger under hard braking(emergency stop)

those of you who have vans/4x4 and dont have to remove the wheels do you secure (strap, retain ect) your bikes ? if so what with ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It did depend on the bike I was moving and how many. But strapped down in th back of the van on its wheels. A la MC.

This weekend any in the van will be in bits as space will be short.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Mine goes in the back of the car with the back seats down. The handlebar fits into a notch on the back of the lowered rear passenger seat that stops it miving around, though that wouldn't be much good in a crash so I just drive carefully with the bike,
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Back seats down, chuck a "tailored" tarp in, front wheel off. Bike in back wheel first - just the right length to hit the back of the passenger seat and the bars sit snug in a recess by the boot. Slot wheel in, jobs a good un. It aint going nowhere.
    Audi estate btw.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I have a 4x4 and I just lay the bike down, if im taking two bikes, I stand them up and secure with a ratchet strap (with protection on touching points).

Get you car loaded and down to degla saturday Colin.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    seats down, dust cloth down, bike on it's side (mech side up) front wheel on top of bike other crap in whatever space is left...use my saris bones if I am off with a mate and need to carry more than 1 bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    seats down, dust cloth down, bike on it's side (mech side up) front wheel on top of bike other crap in whatever space is left...use my saris bones if I am off with a mate and need to carry more than 1 bike.
    Exactly this too.

The bike fits perfectly in my car, not really any room for it to move. If it did it would slide forwards against the bottom lower half of the raised back seats, and stop, which isn't a problem. I certainly can't see it 'flying about' under heavy braking.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    we always strap ours in with bungee cords (pug combi van) stand bikes up at either side of the van and strap them in with numerous bugee cords.. they dont move.. and fit what ever kit around them...
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Large sheet of tarp down with a large sheet of carboard on top to stop the sheet dragging. It makes me swear like an old goat when the tarp wraps around the bars and I can't get the sodding thing in or out because of it. But then, I'm also trying to squeeze the bike through a stupid Saloon boot aperture. Why on Earth did I sell the previa...
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    With a small hatchback I put seat down and put the wheels on top, no padding. if carrying two bikes put the second bike on top of the wheels using them as a buffer- still no padding so I had a frame-wheels-frame-wheels sandwich. No scratched frames and put kit around them. Nice and easy.

I now have a scudo van so have put a length of rope across the back so I now wheel bike(s) in hook the saddle(s) on it. Close the rear doors and no movement. Can fit up to three bikes fully assembled in. Even easier.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine (Focus estate) has a bit of old carpet in the back which keeps the interior clean and also helps stop the bikes slide around. TBH they don't move much if you've got a carpeted floor, a slidy interior lets them bash about all over the place though. I just stick a scabby old blanket between the bikes when there's more than one in there.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Fitting a bike or 2 in the back is no issue at all with my Grand Voyager. Only need to put the rear row of seats down and still have room for 4 people :-)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I can get 2 bikes with wheels off into the back of my 5 door Astra with a bit of wiggling and plenty of old towels for padding and soaking up mud but by the time I have farted about its just as quick to put the roof rack on. Thinking of getting a tow ball fitted and a tow ball rack they seem to be the quickest getting bikes on and off plus less lifting for my knackered back.

If you take wheels out dont forget spacers for the brakes its so easy to accidentally squeeze the brake lever getting bike in or out.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I have a estate , drop the back seats, some old sheets and carpet bikes go in with the wheels on . Prefer it as it takes 2 mins to put the bikes in the car and for security if it being away on holiday or just stopping for a eat and drink.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Seats down, sheet, throw bike in. Car gets filthy inside, scuffs and scratches all over. Don't care.

Lifting a bike onto the roof is hassle and I don't want a rack on there whistling away when I don't a bike on there. Can't fit a "strap on" (oo-er). Tow bar mount is quite nice but I don't want the hassle of putting the rack on a tow bar and having an exposed tow bar when there's no rack.

Besides that I'm a bit paranoid about an expensive bike visible whilst driving, especially as I don't trust some of the neighbourhoods around me, and hear the stories about being followed from trails. Don't know if these are just urban legend, but I'm wary of it anyway. Much rather hide the bike inside the car and I can stop at petrol stations etc on my own without having someone guarding the bike. Unloading the bike I get it out the car and locked up quick as possible always looking suspicious at anyone driving or walking past. Sat on a rack it's just way more obvious what I've got.