Rear cassette loose

mattyg2004
mattyg2004 Posts: 196
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok guys before I take my wheel into LBS and look a prat.

My rear wheel seems to spin true.

However it very very close to my rear arm. If i apply slight pressure it will make contact. There is Very slight lateral movement from around the hub. (QR are tight so its not them) Upon removing the wheel I've found some play in the different cogs on the rear cassette. in and out NOT in the way the chain would rotate.

Any other Ideas

Scott spark dt swiss wheels

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lose cones? Worn bearings? Lose cassette.

Take it off and have a look. Or if you don't have any tools then LBS time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A loose cassette won't have any effect on the rim moving close to the frame.....

You say it gets close to 'the arm' is the rim central in the frame or closer to one side or the other?

Photo's?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok so Bike is at LBS. There is 3-4mm play in the QR. Hub has issues and has moved around on the "droplink" and has enlarged the "hole". So Scott have a 2009 link in for £65 or I can wait until march for the 2010 coloured one and pay £85.

Ordered the 2009 one, Identical apart from colour.

So I've been advised to change the wheels as the OEM ones aint really worth/possible servicing.

Look out for a "spec me some wheels" thread
    May just get some hope pro2 evo's
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Hub has issues and has moved around on the "droplink" and has enlarged the "hole"
    Dropout? So its been ridden with the QR loose and ruined the frame basically, lesson learnt, tighten the QR's!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyg2004 wrote:
    Hub has issues and has moved around on the "droplink" and has enlarged the "hole"
    Dropout? So its been ridden with the QR loose and ruined the frame basically, lesson learnt, tighten the QR's!

Simon

No it moves even when its as tight as a tight thing.
    You know its tight when you have to wrap a towel round your hand to undo it.