How to tell if campag shifters do multiple shifts?

fred22
fred22 Posts: 509
edited January 2012 in Workshop
..without having them installed is there a way to tell? I have a set of centaur shifters, the right hand one has 10 speed written on and the left has QS.
no other visible markings. They aren't new, two or three years old. Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• fred22
    Think I've answered my own question? These look ver similar http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/CASIDN8CE and the blurb says "Gone is the ability to make multiple upshifts with one stroke of the thumb button - now you make multiple, one gear shifts in the same time with more accuracy" which sounds like No to me :x
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    QS (left lever/front mech) tended to go with the escape/powershift right hand lever.

But to make sure - look at the thumb button on the left hand lever. If the hole in the hood cover is just that - a hole - it'll be the single shift type. if it's a slot to allow the thumb button/lever to travel right down to the bottom of the lever - then it's multi/ultrashift.

This is the new shape lever - but you can see the slot:

CSR_2_roadbikeaction.jpg
  • g00se
    if you want ultrashift - I've seen some unused 2010 utrashift newshape veloce levers going on ebay for normal prices. These are getting like hens-teeth now.
  • fred22
    Cheers G00se, I never thought of that. Well I've checked and they are single shift shifters.

a further question or two? I have a very nice Record rear mech en route to me at the mo, will this work ok with my shifters?

With the QS cable set?
  • g00se
    Hi,

QS itself was only for the front mech - so the record rear mech should work provided it's an older 10 speed mech and not the more recent 11 speed.
  • fred22
    Thanks for your advice.