Strip a Carbon Boadman pro and put onto a On-One 456 frame?

bowen90
bowen90 Posts: 18
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Any help on this situation would be most apperciated.

I have foolishy spent £1600 on a carbon Boardman pro HT and have found out after 3 rides its too small!!
An impulse buy that has gone very wrong!

I figure teh best alternative would be to strip the bike and put onto a new frame, and I do like the look of On-One 456 carbon frame. The Boardman is a small (16) I think I need a 18 frame.

Would this be possble? Are there any immediate isuues that would make this a nightmare? I dont want to buy any more gear, and properly have to get help to do all the work.

Any ideas??
Can this be done without buyimg more parts etc??

Thanks in advance

Ben

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Some/many parts will not/ might not fit.

Time to get reading up on the specs. Sizes etc......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Looking at the specs...

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_procarbon.html

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOC456P/o ... _456_frame

First problem is the chainset, the Boardman is the newer BB30 standard the 456 isnt...
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Then the cables may need replacing, hoses too short, headset, bottom bracket as above, seatpost, front mech... and then the frame may not fit either! until you can try one, or understand the geo, don't do it!
  • bowen90
    bowen90 Posts: 18
    Oh God, Im doomed.

Thank you very much for the advice.

Guess its going on the classifieds!!

Thanks again

Ben
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    You might get away with most parts being compatible if you get a new Boardman frame a size up.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-MTB- ... 500wt_1156
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Threaded BB, so the crankset still won't fit, what else?

How big are you, I ride a 16" and am 5' 9.5"

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Will need a new headset - "Takes a tapered 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" headset (to fit forks with a tapered steerer tube) or a reducer headset (steps the lower 1 1/2 bearings down to 1 1/8 for use with standard forks). Compatible with On-One Smoothie Mixer headset." if it is a 1 1/8 steerer on your current fork (cant see size in the boardman spec)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Doh! Doesn't matter, it is tapered! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Note, the Carbon 456 is quite long. I ride a medium / 18" usually, but went with 16" small for the C456 and still the reach is longer than my medium full sus. I'm 5'7".

Tradeoff is the 16" headtube is short and will have problems with certain tapered forks. Check the web site or contact them. 18" won't have problems.

See http://on-one.co.uk/help/what-size-bike and also look at the geometry tab on the c456 page and see if you can compare it against the Boardman specs or something you know fits. Ignore the frame size figures, that just tells you the seat tube size which is largely irrelevant.

I believe you can try them if you can get to the showroom, in Rotherham!

p.s. after 3 rides, you can't just take the Boardman back? Not sure what policies are like with returns having been used, but maybe there's some allowance. Clean up it may even be basically new condition and "oh it's never been ridden, honest" ;)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I thought Santa Cruz were know for being particularly short across the top, that's probably why the 456 seems long.

My old Boardman was longer than the equivalently sized C456.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Could be right. Was long compared to my GT also, but maybe that's short also. On-One do say "Our top tubes are consistently long" though.