Looking for a small pump WITH a flex/hose

temple-Lobe
temple-Lobe Posts: 6
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm searching for a low-price, small bike pump with a flex hose (I'm fed up with mini pumps which connect directly to valve!)

My pannier bag can hold a pump 10 inces long so anything at 10 inches or below would fit the bill...

I've come accross the Lezyne HV Drive Mini Pump (chain reaction) which is ideal accept the price (18.99) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=74109

Anyone know of a cheaper/plastic version

Andy

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe look for ones that double as a shock pump as these will need a flex/hose to fit the shocks.

Got a Specialized Windpipe shock/tyre pump. Not the cheapest of things though, and it takes a lot of effort to inflate a tyre. Might find most small pumps take a lot of effort. Mine is nice for the shocks however. Tyre pump part I use for emergencies is no one else has anything better, but I keep a track pump in the car. So much easier.
  • Had a look at some - still a lot to pay for a pump :o

I'm still scratching my head over this - you can buy a standard 15" bicycle pump for £1.00 on ebay - what's hard to find is the same design of pump, only shorter - I don't mind sweating a bit by pumping more... - it's only going to be used in an emergency so maybe pay about £10 tops.

if you search for "mini bicycle pump" in Google you get reams of pumps but the direct attachment type, no normal pumps with the flex/hose unless you want to pay £20-£30! :x

anyone?

thanx by the way :P
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    lezyne or topeak turbo morph..

i have a lezyne pump it been faultless in the 3 years i been using it. our kid has the turbo morph this to has been faultless over the years he had it...

you have to pay for quality...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    C02 inflator kit? ;)

Can be had for £15 on ebay it seems and get a few canisters with them depending on which you get.

Okay, they're one shot each, but fast and should take up very little space :D
  • I've found a solution! :D

a ball pump, about £2.50 on ebay 8) - if i want to spend a fiver i can get a fancy Nike one which is just like a miniture bike pump - result!! Both come with schrader flexi hose (hurrah!)

only want it for emergencies so it won't be used often (no wear and tear) I think paying £20 for a pump is banannas unless its used often -

what do you think?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they get the pressure you need good luck. Having sat on a Welsh mountain in the rain trying to get a faulty pump to work, I stick with good ones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    If they get the pressure you need good luck. Having sat on a Welsh mountain in the rain trying to get a faulty pump to work, I stick with good ones.

Been in a similar situation on ground level but 20+ miles from home so I've been thinking in the similar vein

I'm going to get a Sondico Action Pump (£5 from sportsDirect) - its designed for bike and ball and has a good strong handle http://www.sportsdirect.com/sondico-action-pump-840280

whenyou think about it a ball requires a lot of pressure too - but rather than go dirt cheap and buy a £1 ball pump I think this is the way I shall go, the Sonidico at £5

Thanks for your input...
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    just hope when you need it most (far away from home light fading and it's raining) that your pump does'nt give up on you..

£20-£30 is a small price to get you out of trouble,
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Buy cheap, buy twice and all that. I was glad I'd spent £25 on a lezyne when I punctured in the freezing rain on the Fred Whitton last year. Could barely move my fingers but managed to get my tyre back up to 100psi no worries.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    My mate got a Topeak Race Rocket, lasted one go, so he took it back and changed it, the new one lasted once too. He's more than competent at using a pump... I have one too but have never bothered taking it out with me after what happened to his, I use a slightly bigger blackburn kamikaze and its been faultless on the numerous times i've used it. Plenty of oomph too to pop a tyre on the rim.
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    I've a Race Rocket but unlike above it's been faultless. Used quite a few times recently (hawthorn cutting season) and it's been brilliant. Much better than the CB one I had before which was awful and gave up on me 5 miles from the car!

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Is £18 really a lot of money for something that will last a long time and can be relied on when you need it? I don't think so. Don't be so tight.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • oodboo wrote:
    Is £18 really a lot of money for something that will last a long time and can be relied on when you need it? I don't think so. Don't be so tight.

I slept on it last night and I've gone for the Lezyne at £18.99 - my wife and I will be doing a lot of cycling this year so budgeting on a pump is probably asking for trouble

thanks for everyones input, much appreciated

Andy
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i have the bontrager mini floor pump.folds out with alloy foot rest has the hose and it works a treat.fits in my decathlon hydration pack no bother,tyre inflated in under 10 pumps....
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    oodboo wrote:

I slept on it last night and I've gone for the Lezyne at £18.99 - my wife and I will be doing a lot of cycling this year so budgeting on a pump is probably asking for trouble

thanks for everyones input, much appreciated

Andy

I have one, and it's been an excellent purchase.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.