Website For Analysing Run Data

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I run as well as cycle, but Garmin Connect leaves me a little frustrated in terms of analysing my run (and cycle) data.

I use a Forerunner 610 to log all my runs, with a HRM and FootPod.

Can anyone recommend the best website to download and analyse my run data in detail.

Many thanks,

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    You could take a look at Strava. I believe the 'running' part is a pretty new, but the features do appear to be growing.
    Simon
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    http://ridewithgps.com/
    This will do you fine for cycling and running. Strava is OK for a bit of fun but lacks accuracy. Some of their KOMs are just a joke. Ave gradients are miles out.
  • Secteur
    For those familiar with both Garmin Connect and RideWithGPS you will know that the latter has a nice feature which allows you to click on any point of your course and it will display the info at that given point (speed, gradient etc etc).

With Garmin Connect, you can't do this - you have to use the "player" which just plays the course like a video - a dot goes along the course and you can pause it / adjust the speed, but it's a right pain in the arse as you cant just jump to the bit you want - you have to "play the video" until it reaches the bit you want and hope you can pause it just as the right time.

I did find a really good American site (sorry cant remember the name now), but it was marred with adverts unless you paid some daft amount per month, and the interface was a little cluttered, but otherwise it just about did what I wanted it to.

Finally, is there any software than can further extract cycle (or run) data to give such data as "time spent above X mph" or "time spent above X HR" etc. I would like to break my garmin data down to even greater levels. The data has to be there, but none of the usual sites display it this way.
  • John.T
    The "Time spent at speed" graph will give time above a speed. You can edit your HR zones to get "time above X" HR. Not perfect but without going to something like Training Peaks or similar it is about as good as you get for free.
    You do know that in RWGPS you can select a shorter section of a ride for closer analysis. Just click and hold on the section start point on the elevation graph and drag to the end. The features in RWGPS have improved greatly in the last 6 months.
  • Secteur
    I didnt know that - cheers!

PS, I wouldnt mind paying a reasonable (small) fee for the best software...
  • springtide9
    Secteur wrote:
    Finally, is there any software than can further extract cycle (or run) data to give such data as "time spent above X mph" or "time spent above X HR" etc. I would like to break my garmin data down to even greater levels. The data has to be there, but none of the usual sites display it this way.

Already mentioned Strava, but you obviously haven't looked ;)
    Here is an example of my Bath Half....
    http://app.strava.com/runs/1073397

So as you stated, shows your pace on a per mile basis, as well as the elevation per mile. Also gives you a percentage spent at each HR Zone.

Haven't had any issues with elevation, but I know Strava has switched to using a more accurate map data in the last month or two. If your device supports elevation, it appears to use that over the map data. The run data analysis is still very new, with more and more features being added.

I also use RWGPS in parallel with Strava, but only really use RWGPS for creating routes. Strava IMO is much better at giving a performance view of your data. Training Peaks looks awesome, but OTT for my needs.
    Simon
  • Secteur
    OK, thanks - I will take a closer look at Strava!
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    I use Sportracks for both my running and cycling and it does everything I could ever want to do (and more!). It used to be free but the latest version is $35USD so it's not hugely expensive. You can download a free trial to see if you like it but it is limited in the number of plugins you can use, whereas the full version isn't. It's the plugins that make this such an excellent package and most of them are free.
  • springtide9
    Secteur wrote:
    OK, thanks - I will take a closer look at Strava!

You'll love it.

If you run the same route, you can create segments (just like on the bike). And every time you run that segment, you'll be timed.

e.g. If you have a regular run loop, but the first part of the route is a warm up, and the last part is a warm down. Create a segment for your loop, but with the warm up and warm down sections removed. You will then have a timed run and the app will automatically tell you how you rated compared to previous runs.
    Simon
  • John.T
    Strava is not very good with segment gradients. There is a 0.4 mile one on one of my rides which climbs from 417' to 459'. It never exceeds 7% but the average is given as 11.9%. As I said earlier it is OK for a bit of fun but not for serious analysis. All my rides go on to Connect, RWGPS and Strava but I only use RWGPS for looking at my races. I can easily look at a section as short as 0.05 mile.
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    +1 for Sportracks if you want never ending detail. It should identify your Garmin GPX/TCX files and upload all of them automatically. My version stopped doing this, so each had to be sent to desktop and then imported individually which was a bit of a faff so I stopped using it.

My favourite is sportstracker, because people send you messages telling you how awesome you are! And there is no better incentive than that