Question for a bike shop worker..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I was wondering, how do bike shop owners feel when you walk in with fairly new kit for a service/repair/maintenance that you haven't bought in store?

I always feel conscious with my Canyon/Boardman that when I walk into the store I'm not going to get a good level of service because I didn't buy a bike/part from the shop I'm taking it to.... I hardly ever buy stuff from and LBS because its just too expensive.

I'm guessing that most bike shops earn their cash through repairs anyway, but should I feel guilty for not buying anything from them?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As you say, a lot of money is made from repairs and maintenence, so generally they/we are not bothered at all. In fact most would be happy to take your business.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The shops I've worked in will give priority service to customers who bought bikes from them, that doesn't mean they wouldn't service another bike, but it would be queued behind a service job on a bike bought from that shop

They generally only stock spares for the bike brands they supply (brake pads/mech hangers etc)

I know one local shop that will not service any bike not bought from them at all nor even lend the customer a pump to pump their tyre up (I've not worked in that shop, nor would I want to)

Yes you can make a fair bit of money from repairs, but you can make more from one good high end bike sale than in a workshop in an entire day
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    We would often tell people to buy from CRC and bring it o tilting as we old not match the prices.

We charged for fitting.

But if we supplied we did not charge for fitting.

As a general guide.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    We also inform customers that they may be better off buying from CRC etc as we can't always price match, but if they bring it to us we will charge a fitting fee

If they buy it from us it's usually fitted FOC
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So..... if you can't fit it yourself and you buy from the internet then you *may* be better off buying from an LBS.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So..... if you can't fit it yourself and you buy from the internet then you *may* be better off buying from an LBS.
    Correct.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    nicklouse wrote:
    Correct.

Seems fair to me.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    why would you be buying off the internet, if you cant fit it yourself, or have a mate who can do it for you ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    er.... see above. It was rhetorical anyways....
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    er.... see above. It was rhetorical anyways....
    err yes its about shops servicing/repairs etc,on a bike you bought elsewhere, not parts you may have bought and want fitting
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    My mate owns a bike shop and if I ask him to get me a part he says its probably cheaper on CRC and even finds it for me, like Nick says.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    I used to work as a mechanic, and I see where your coming from.

To be honest, I don't like going into any of my LBS anymore, they all seem to talk to me like a bit retarded, as if they are better than me and know more than me. Also, they are so over-priced most of the time. I reckon it is still much cheaper to buy something off the internet and then take it in if necessary and get it serviced/built.

Also, I don't really let anyone else near my bike, as I don't trust most mechanics, they normally don't seem to know what their doing.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I reckon it is still much cheaper to buy something off the internet and then take it in if necessary and get it serviced/built.

That depends on the labour charges, which are out of your control though...

In general the fitting charge I would quote would be the difference between our price and CRCs, plus £5 :-)

Had no problem with people buying online, what is irritating is when they then bring said item in and expected us to bow down and sort their warranty issues with their online-sourced products.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Depends what LBS you use I guess, the one here in Bangor is great, the guys really look after you, no matter whether you buy from them or online. I bought a new fork online, and they cut the steerer and fitted the star nut for me FOC. That said, I do buy a fair amount of gear from them (shoes, helmets, smaller parts etc) and have paid them to do a lot of maintenance work on my bikes (truing wheels, replacing bearings etc), and they seem to give me slightly better treatment for it. I guess they know that if they provide good service, then I'll keep coming back, so long as they're not vastly more expensive than online retailers, which is 100% true. Helps that they give 10% student discount on parts and gear as well! :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't like going into any of my LBS anymore, they all seem to talk to me like a bit retarded,

I get that too. Am very tempted to say something most times!
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Depends what LBS you use I guess, the one here in Bangor is great, the guys really look after you, no matter whether you buy from them or online. I bought a new fork online, and they cut the steerer and fitted the star nut for me FOC. That said, I do buy a fair amount of gear from them (shoes, helmets, smaller parts etc) and have paid them to do a lot of maintenance work on my bikes (truing wheels, replacing bearings etc), and they seem to give me slightly better treatment for it. I guess they know that if they provide good service, then I'll keep coming back, so long as they're not vastly more expensive than online retailers, which is 100% true. Helps that they give 10% student discount on parts and gear as well! :D

I'm with you up until the student discount part. They don't offer student discounts, but I ride with the mechanic/ manager of my LBS, and he cuts me good deals which keeps both of us happy, and on top of that, warranty is much easier and quick than having to deal online with an OR.
  • All of the shops I have worked in have been happy to service bikes bought elsewhere, but as mentioned above if someone brings in a bike that they have bought from us it will be given priority! No real difference in the service levels as far as I can tell.

I think for me the biggest factor in the level of service you receive is tied in with how you treat the LBS. I mean, if you walk in and act like a douche, demanding priority service time etc, the chances are you'll get crappy service. If your normal/nice/whatever you should get pretty good service!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • dhutch
    dhutch Posts: 343
    As a student and then somone whos moved away for work I not near any of the shops i have bought bikes from and and such get bits serviced away from where they where bought when its something I dont have the tools for or am unhappy to do myself and have never had an issue. As yo say, this as far as i can tell, is where much of the money is now made.

That said, i would and do always suggest someone bought there bike locally assuming they can offer the bike in question at a reasonable price. My bike shop at my parents (chester) will price match most things including bikes.

Daniel