Scott Voltage fr30 or Santa cruz Bullit?

tylerjames
tylerjames Posts: 56
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone
Im on the hunt for a DH bike and have approx £1200 pounds too spend. I have seen these two bikes and just wonderd what you guys would go for or you no of another bike i should look at. Im 16 stone and 6ft 4 :roll: .
Many thanks Jack

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you could scrape up another £300 then a new Rose Beefcake DH2 would do the job. They are amazing value & really good bikes.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:524537

If you want to goo used then my choice would be an Iron Horse Sunday. The two you listed are freeride bikes & both have a high bottom bracket & steep geometry, not ideal as DH bikes. The Iron Horse or Rose would destroy either of these on a DH track.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd have the voltage, but the largest size will be to small for you if you're 6'4"

Do as rockmonkey says, check out Rose bikes, or YT industries, or Canyon perhaps?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bought an FR20 last year the Voltage is a definitive FR bike i.e. awesome at non-competitive DH you will not regret buying one.

The short is very short (top tube just over 500mm) but the long is more trail bike at 590mm IIRC. I'm 6'2" and if you're looking for a jumpy, poppy kind of bike the short is not as small as you might think. The long is rock-solid on the descents and there's room to pedal on the pedally bits.

FR Voltages have interchangeable drop outs and suspension links which means you can fine-tune the wheelbase and travel.

Have a look on here for more info: http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomme ... &pagenum=1
  • rockmonkeysc
    The large Voltage FR is too short for me, I'm 6'1" plus it has a pretty poor fork, the Domain R has a very basic damper which is nowhere near as good as the Domain RC on the Rose Beefcake.
    I would avoid YT Industries as they are a bit unknown at the moment.
  • Thanks for all the help guys and im taking it all in. The Voltage im looking at is a bright green one on pinkbike,£1050 pounds. Do like the look of the canyon alot.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Dont bother with the Voltage unless you can test ride it. Its quite a well known fact that they come up very small.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thats too much for a used voltage.
  • Thats too much for a used voltage.
    Makes me wonder why he cant sell it then. God wish i had more money then be no worries. What do you guys think of the Orange patriot?
    Cheers Again Jack
  • Have seen a Specilized big hit 3 i like. Anyone now much about these please? Have read a coulpe of write ups and they look good.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7636729/
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fro £1000 you should be able to get a 2009/2010 Big Hit which is much better than those old ones. Big Hits are good bikes.
    You can get a new one for just under £1400. Don't be put off by the X-Fusion suspension, it's actually pretty good
    http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products ... &vid=29522

Still not as good value as Canyon or Rose.
  • Love the look of the green big hit 1. Gona too me local bike shop and see what they can do it for. Do like that big hit 3 in my link tho and great front forks.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The two you listed are freeride bikes & both have a high bottom bracket & steep geometry, not ideal as DH bikes.

65 degrees standard on the Voltage, and 13.7 at the BB, neither steep nor tall
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've just bought myself a 2011 Voltage FR 20 today in long and on first impressions it's a fantastic machine with a very good spec for £1500, the lad at the shop (a mate of a mate so trust wasn't an issue) said if your in the market for a good entry level DH bike the FR 20 is perfect. After a bit of research it seems the FR10 & 30 are more freeride bikes where as the FR20 with it's 200mm Domain RC upfront is specificly aimed at the DH market, yes they're a little short in the cockpit but at 6ft the long is perfect for me it's a little on the heavyside at 18kg but after a quick blast today seems very very chuckable yet super stable once you get used to the slacker head angle
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • rockmonkeysc
    65 degrees standard on the Voltage, and 13.7 at the BB, neither steep nor tall

They both feel steep & tall to ride.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bullit did feel that way to me, though I didn't really ride it enough to develop any real opinion.

I think the Voltage has had a few changes over its life, and it's very customisable so could be different versions of the frame maybe? As far as I know the ones I've ridden were both as they came out of the box, but maybe not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • This is getting alot harder too choose what bike is best ahhhh. Been too my local bike shop today and they can do a specilized status 1 at 1800 and it looks nice. 2 many too choose from. Thanks for all the help so far guys.
  • tylerjames wrote:
    This is getting alot harder too choose what bike is best ahhhh. Been too my local bike shop today and they can do a specilized status 1 at 1800 and it looks nice. 2 many too choose from. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I was looking at the Status 1 as one of my possibilitys but if i was riding the rough stuff i'd want more than a Jucy 3 stopping me, i have the brakes on my Meta and they suck. The Xfusion shock is pretty plush and it has been designed around the bike but as i posted before you'll struggle to find a bike as good as the Voltage for the money.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?