Hydration Packs

Bikehawk
Bikehawk Posts: 102
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I haven't got the time at the moment to search :oops: :)
Looking at replacing my current Camelbak Rogue with something a little bigger. Just finding that the Rogue just doesn't have the storage I'm looking for. It's fine if you are wearing your jacket but it's a bit short on storage it you want to take any extra clothing/kit with you. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Would generally prefer to stick with Camelbak as I've been using them for years hiking etc.

Comments

• Camelback hawg nv.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^^^ +1 (or potato)

I can get an SLR camera with lens (nothing huge) in there, plus small tool bag, pump and space in the pockets for spare tubes, wallet, keys etc. Nice hard back too for a bit of protection in those tumbles and has a 3L bladder.

Bulky when it's all filled out, but will hold a fair bit. There are bigger also.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Camelback hawg nv.

+1 Spud
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I've got a hawk and is good, I use it for commuting as well, you can fit a laptop, slr, change of clothes etc and it doesn't weigh too much itself so aint much heavier than a smaller pack once emptied a bit. The back protection is good, as is the in built rain cover. Also look at the Mule NV for something slightly smaller.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Not a hydration pack but I picked one of these up from TK Maxx for £9 the other week

http://www.gelert.com/products/serenity_18l_rucksac

It got an internal pocket and tube hole so just stuck my own bladder in and away I go. Plenty big enough for a day out or for the commute and the fact that it's raised away from my back makes a hell of a difference in the sweaty stakes.

HTH
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • i opted for a Dakine Apex pack, 3L bladder and 26L storage
  • Sorry, slight hijack (although also relevant to OP), but has anyone got, or tried an Ergon hydration pack?

They're a bit more than camelbaks, but they look like they'd be incredibly comfy.

They can be had for not completely unreasonable amounts from well known German stockists and I'm considering treating myself as my 3yr old Camelbak scudo is a bit grim these days.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/gb/en/product/bc1
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    I use a Fox Oasis. I find it plenty big enough for eveything I need and the hydration pack is really easy to clean too, by just turning it inside out

http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/fox-low-pro-hyd ... 3025-p.asp
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've got the Ergon BC1 and it's fantastic. Ergon do make put a lot more research into their products and it shows. Both my mate and I got one. I got them of an eBayer in Israel and they were only 2/3rds the UK price and came in just two days, with no VAT or duty to pay. I then got the Ergon bladders (which are Hydrapack bladders but with a longer tube) from Rose in Germany - again they arrived in 2 days.
    The Ergon backpacks are expensive, but well worth it. They sit much lower on your back as you adjust the top to suite your height. The weight is on your hips and not your shoulders. The waist band goes around your hips and not around your tummy like other bike backpacks.
    I can't rate it highly enough. The only downside to them is that they don't have enough separate pockets or compartments, but that's a minor thing.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • You cannot fit much in a Rogue, the Lobo gives more room and I have one for solo rides. When riding with the family I reach for my Mule which carries everything I need. It does depend on what you need/want to take, how long you will be out for, where etc. Go to a stockist and have a look, any wrong purchase will be an expensive mistake. If your Rogue is sufficient when riding with a jacket I would guess that a Lobo would be enough. Personal preference really.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I was torn between 2 tonight... Was gunna go for the Camelback Mule,

But chose this intead... in Rasta :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=61448
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Recieved the Dakine Drifter today...

It is by far the best hydration pack i've seen. But you'll have to take my word for it.. much better then the Camelbaks...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the dakine packs last ages to i still got my nomad from 06.. and my apex is a 08 model it's been abused to..

i never got on with dakine bladder though i replaced mine for a cammelbak one..
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    From what I've heard, read and seen the Dakine packs are better but the camebak bladders are better. I've got the lobo at the moment but if I feel the need to carry more stuff I will be replacing that with a Dakine pack and keeping my camelbak bladder. At the moment I don't get out for rides long enough to justify carrying more than some water and a few tools so the lobo suits me.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    my apex regulary is loaded to capacity with not only bike essentials tubes pump tools ect food fluid and clothes.
    but slr camera equipment camera body and numerous lenses and a tripod.. i guess i should get a bigger back pack really, but cant afford to yet as i still cant find a bloody job,...
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    On a related note, has anyone ever tried the Wingnut Hyper? I recall MBUK singing its praises a few years ago, and the whole webbing / lack of a sweaty back design is appealing, but wondered if it was much cop over the long term.
  • Rushmore wrote:
    Recieved the Dakine Drifter today...

It is by far the best hydration pack i've seen. But you'll have to take my word for it.. much better then the Camelbaks...
    These things do come down to personal preference, My Mules have stuff on the back that helmets and rear lights can be affixed to. This explains why the latest models of all packs are of no use to me. The Camelbak bladders are very tough, retain heat in winter and maintain coolness in summer.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Got a dakine nomad recently, can JUST fit everything in there (jacket, food, go pro, spare gloves, tools, pump, couple of spare tubes and 3l of water). Seems pretty good well made and well thought out inside. I like it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5